1. Lawrence Micheal
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 17:14 PM UTC

Team,

We are running legacy application to support our customer, it was migrated to PB 12.6    2 years back and it is working fine in 2008 Server. Now we are planning to upgrade our Citrix server to 2016. But most of the reports taking longer than actual. In 2008 server same report returning results in 10 seconds, but in 2016 server it is taking more than 3 minutes.

So I thought PowerBuilder 2019 could have fixed this issue, I downloaded  PB 2019 trial version and tried, but no luck.

If PB 2019 is fixing my issue then I can recommend my firm to buy this PB 2019, but unfortunately it is not working.

Please let me know if you have bug fix release for this issue. I am working with PowerBuilder tool past 23 years.

Thanks and Regards

Lawrence Micheal.

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 17:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

What database are you using? Are you using the same database with both Citrix servers? Perhaps the problem is the new Citrix servers network connection.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Govinda Lopez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 17:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Lawrence,

Can you provide us with more info?

- What version of DB are you using?

- What bitness are you using (32/64 bits) for your DB connection?

- How are you connecting to the DB (ie: ODBC, Native Driver, etc...)?

- Are some very specific reports that are having the problem? or is this happening with any DW?

Regards,

Comment
Lawrence Micheal Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 17:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

We are using Sybase 16, and both 2008 and 2016 Servers are pointing to same Sybase 16 database Service.

I did execute same Store PRocedure from 2016 server thru ISQL, but the result sets are coming really quick. I do understand in Datawindow we have sorting as well as grouping. But how it is working in 2008 and not in 2016 server.

Thanks.

Comment
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 17:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

- What version of DB are you using? Sybase 16

- What bitness are you using (32/64 bits) for your DB connection? we tried in both 32 bit and 64 bit.

- How are you connecting to the DB (ie: ODBC, Native Driver, etc...)? Native driver

- Are some very specific reports that are having the problem? or is this happening with any DW?

Happening all DW which are all having Storage setup as Rows to Disk.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 22:18 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Lawrence;

Have you tried adding this to your PB.ini ...

[DataStore Behavior]

UseHwnd=no

Regards ... Chris

Note: For production create your own PB.ini & deploy with your EXE's.

Comment
  1. Steen Jakobsen
  2. Thursday, 18 February 2021 06:46 AM UTC
FANTASTIC!!!

I have done that for a while (2 months) now and it fixes ALL RANDOM CRASH happening.

And there are zero side effects.

I'm just so happy I cannot express. The random crashes constantly happened and we have been chasing our own code for moths. The "USER OBJECTS" in the windows task manager went from several hundreds to just 4 and now everything works perfect and maybe a bit faster.

*** THANK YOU Chris for this tip :-) ***

Everyone should know!!

//Steen
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 18 February 2021 15:19 PM UTC
Chris Pollach @Appeon

Hi Steen ... you are most welcome - this is "awesome" news! Have you hugged a DataWindow today? ;-)

Also everyone, here is what you need to add to your DW Control and DS's on the Destructor event (hopefully you have one ancestor each of these classes) to help with the proper releasing of memory and GDI resources ...

THIS.Reset()

THIS.DataObject = ""

Yield()
  1. Helpful
  1. Thursday, 15 August 2019 14:16 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

I tried with [DataStore Behavior] in PB.ini, it looks much better than earlier. But I am not sure whether the result has any change. I am going to test it today and compare the result set and let you all know.

Thanks so much for your help on this.

Comment
  1. Lawrence Micheal
  2. Thursday, 15 August 2019 16:35 PM UTC
Also in 2008 it is taking less than 12 seconds, but in PowerBuilder design mode (DW preview) it is taking around 45 seconds. But 45 seconds is for better than 3+ minutes. I just want to let you know.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 15 August 2019 18:33 PM UTC
Hi Lawrence;

Thanks for the feedback! The DS should just help counteract the real problem. Although, you can certainly leave it in place for still better overall performance.

For PB2019 though there is a small performance issue if you do not deploy a copy of the "theme" DLL in the application EXE's folder. FYI: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157586152534916&id=230003464915

HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Sunday, 18 August 2019 13:03 PM UTC
Chris,

he said that the dataWINDOW reports are slow - so would the datastore setting really make a difference here?

Lawrence, are these reports actually running in a datastore and then just displaying in a datawindow after they run?
  1. Helpful
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 18 August 2019 12:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

you mentioned that the problem only occurs on datawindows with Rows to Disk set on.

can you set that off to make sure that is actually the problem?  

If it is, either turn OFF rows to disk for your processing (do you really need that on? memory is cheap these days); or find out why the disk is so slow. 

If you must use the rows to disk then find out why your disk is so slow.  I assume that this is a completely new machine you are running it on?  So, could it be that the this is a virtual machine setup by your network admin with limited (slow) disk I/O?   Or put in a SSD drive and have the rows to disk save to that drive.  Also, maybe there is some security setting in windows or citrix server that makes writing to a temporary file slow?

Comment
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 19 August 2019 12:54 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 8

Since the change that caused the problem was going to a newer version of Citrix, it is probably because the new server isn't configured correctly.

Comment
  1. Monday, 19 August 2019 23:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 9

Rolland Smith,

Thanks for your response, I already asked Citrix team to take a look at the server/citrix configuration. Citrix team and Network admin were confirmed that everything looks correct on their end. I did remove Rows to disk option and eventhough it is slow. I am still trying with PowerBuilder 12.6 build, last week I tried with PowerBuilder 2019 but no luck.
Please let us know whether we have solution for this issue.

Thanks

Comment
  1. Wednesday, 21 August 2019 22:48 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 10

Team,

I did run our application in both 2016 server as well as 2008 server. And monitored thru Wireshark and Procmonitor on both servers. In 2008 server, the ReadFile and WriteFile operations are going faster and finally it took 15 seconds to pull data to Front End screen. But in 2016 server also ReadFile and WriteFile operations are going faster upto some level  and getting stuck in some place for nearly 3 minutes. I donot have any clue why it is getting hung on that place. We verified Memory, and CPU utilization, everything looking good on 2016 server.

Do you guys come across these kind of scenarios?

Thanks.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.