1. Pranav Thekkan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 9 June 2020 10:59 AM UTC

Hi tea,

I am having an application that is developed in PB5 using PB7 libraries. I am trying to convert this applications to 2019. As of now I am using trail version to check the feasibility. Could you please help me understand how feasible this conversion will be. 

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 June 2020 14:45 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

It is definitely feasible, and much lower effort than any other path forward for your app!  We have customers that have migrated from PB 5 directly to PB 2019. 

But as Olan mentioned, it will be some work, with Unicode being definitely one big item to pay attention to.  Please read through this documentation before proceeding: https://docs.appeon.com/appeon_online_help/pb2019r2/upgrading_pb_apps/index.html

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 June 2020 12:18 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

The biggest issue I see is that PB9 and above uses UNICODE, and versions below that do not. There are other major differences as well, including how the Print() function works.

All that said, you >>> SHOULD <<< be able to use the Migration Assistant to help with the conversion to PB2019. Please keep a copy of the original code avaiailble for reference, and GO SLOWLY. Let the Migration ASsistant assist you.

Good Luck,

Olan

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.