1. Amit De Picciotto
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 26 January 2022 15:09 PM UTC

Hi all,

As upgrading from PB 2017 to PB 2021, as well take advantage of this upgrade and move from On-premises to to DEV AZURE, how should compilation and deploy should held on the pipeline?

Eventually, need to pack it all (deliveries) on MSI

So, there build machine as AZURE VM, that the azure DevOps pipeline need to compile with an agent.

Until now, without success...

Should I work with the new PBAutoBuild.exe instead of the pb.exe?

What the best practice here?

Many thanks

Accepted Answer
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 9 March 2022 15:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Amit De Picciotto Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 3 March 2022 07:48 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi,

As mentioned, the pbautobuild210.exe replacing the pbc.exe, but, on the setup, from documentation point of view it still deliver the pbc.pdf.

Are the instructions for the pbAutoBuild210.exe are the same as for the pbc.exe?

Is there any documentation for the use of the pbAutoBuild210.exe? 

Thanks!

Comment
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 26 January 2022 20:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

In the video of the following link, orcascript is being used, but it still might have valid information for you: https://www.appeon.com/conference/elevate-2021/live?id=328

( from the Elevate 2021 Replay videos, here's the list: https://www.appeon.com/conference/elevate-2021/session-catalog.html?ct=t%28Elevate+2021+Replay+is+Available%29&goal=0_47b6f83fed-729cb028b1-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D )

Comment
  1. Amit De Picciotto
  2. Thursday, 27 January 2022 07:53 AM UTC
Thanks!

The first video is helpful for my case
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 26 January 2022 15:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Yes, use PBAutoBuild instead.  It is replacing PBC.exe.

I recommend looking at either the PowerClient or PowerServer deployment option also, which are also supported by PBAutoBuild.

Comment
  1. Amit De Picciotto
  2. Thursday, 27 January 2022 08:05 AM UTC
Thanks!

Indeed I wonder if the deployment architecture is:

Build machine on AZURE and try to invoke the PB deployment from pipeline with an agent (until now without success), eventually all the PBDs & EXEs are packed to MSI, but the issue here is not to pack as MSI, but, what is the best practice to deploy PB from AZURE DevOps pipeline.

I checked the PowerServer, not seems to relevant on my case since it's not cloud native app, it's more classic PB application.

There is 'home tailored' utility, or now, AZURE dev ops extension, that helps to execute the deployment (targeting the pb.exe, which need to be replaced with PBAutoBuid.exe)
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 27 January 2022 13:21 PM UTC
If you want to stay client/server, at least try PowerClient: https://www.appeon.com/products/power-client
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.