1. Sathishkumar S
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 2 February 2023 11:26 AM UTC

Hi Appeon,

We have migrated the application from PB2019-32bit build 2728 to PB2022-64bit build 1892.

After that we are facing issues in PDF generation whereas the fonts are changed, some of the fields are overlapping with the labels. 

It is happening for some of the users in the production but in Dev, QA environment it is working fine. We are using pdftk for generating pdfs.

Thank you,
Sathishkumar.

Shannon Axon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 6 February 2023 14:54 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I am having a strange problem after the same upgrade but maybe it has to do with me needing to rebuild in 32bit. I will try that but just to explain what I'm experiencing, I can generate PDF's from the development environment (when I run the app) without a problem but users cannot. I tried to copy a version of the application to my local drive and I also can't generate PDF's when i run the app locally - outside of the development environment. If I removed the pbvm.dll, i can generate a PDF without a problem but then other users will get an error implying all the runtime dll's aren't out tehre. I don't get that error because I have PB on my machine (i THINK). 

To clarify, i'm trying to create the pdf with a "save as" button on a datawindow that has returned rows (this in a custom app that has gone through many PB upgrades).  The app WILL allow me to save the return values to Excel but it will not save (or give an error) when saving as a PDF. This only works if I remove pbvm.dll and keep the older copy: PBVM170.dll. If I remove PBVM170.dll it won't work... If I have both it won't work. Or if I only have pbvm.dll it won't work. Any clues? I did rebuild the app in 32-bit (I just tried again even though that's the way i have consistently rebuilt it) - never tried 64-bit. 

Please share any details that might help!

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 6 February 2023 20:27 PM UTC
Hi,

If you are testing a migrated version from PB2019 to PB2022, you should NOT be looking at pbvm170.dll.

Get rid of that runtime and properly install the pb2022 runtime, is my suggestion.
  1. Helpful
  1. Shannon Axon
  2. Monday, 6 February 2023 23:38 PM UTC
Thanks everyone. I got it working. It's a totally different file/folder structure. Thank you for pointing out the appropriate help to read, Armeen. I knew I shouldn't use older DLL's... I just had an area where i was playing around with stuff because I thought it would help me isolate the problem.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 10 February 2023 16:41 PM UTC
Glad to hear it is resolved.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 February 2023 15:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Satish;

I use the PDFTK product with PB 2022. The PDFTK is run externally to your PB App - so it's unlikely to be the issue (logically speaking).

If you are now using the NativePDF feature though, there are open tickets around the font & overlapping field issue that Engineering are looking at.

However if you are using the NativePDF feature please make that A) you have the correct NativePDF runtime DLLs in production and B) try changing the Apps "Default" printer in production to see if that rectifies your PDF generation problems.  HTH

Regards ..  Chris 

Comment
  1. Sathishkumar S
  2. Friday, 10 February 2023 10:21 AM UTC
Hi Chrish,

The issue has been resolved by using the new Microsoft Print to PDF driver (instead of Ghostscript) and it is working fine. No Issues with Font or Text overlapping.

Thank you

Sathishkumar.
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 10 February 2023 18:32 PM UTC
I also suspect (as a guess) that your GhostScript issue might because you were using an old out-dated build.

The current GS is version 10.0.0. What version were you using?
  1. Helpful
  1. Sathishkumar S
  2. Wednesday, 22 February 2023 13:15 PM UTC
We were using GS is version 9.56
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 February 2023 12:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

In PB 2022 compile as 32-bit app see if the issue persists so we can narrow down if some difference between PB 2019 and 2022 or if it is because you switched from 32-bit to 64-bit project?

Also, are you using exact same version and build of pdftk as before?  Or when you upgraded PB you also upgraded to newer version of pdftk?

Comment
  1. Sathishkumar S
  2. Thursday, 2 February 2023 15:03 PM UTC
Hi Armeen Mazda,

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try to compile the app in 32bit PB2022 and check in production environment where we are having an issue.

We have the same version of pdftk as before.

Thank you.

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 2 February 2023 15:09 PM UTC
Please report back what you discover.
  1. Helpful
  1. Sathishkumar S
  2. Friday, 10 February 2023 15:29 PM UTC
Hi Armeen,

We found the issue with the Ghostscript driver which is currently attached to the Sybase DataWindow PS printer driver which PowerBuilder uses when saving datawindow as PDF.

We have tested it with the new Microsoft Print to PDF driver and it is working fine.

No Issues with Font or Text overlapping.

Old Setup Printer Driver of Sybase Datawindow PS is Ghostscript

New Setup Printer Driver of Sybase Datawindow PS is Microsoft Print to PDF

Thank you

Sathishkumar.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.