1. Aron Cox
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 16:21 PM UTC

Just installed PowerBuilder 2019 R3 Build 2670 and I notice that the PBODB INI file is now called PBODB.INI whereas is used to have the version number in the name, like PBODB170.INI.

Does this mean from now on we only have a single version of this file for all future versions of PowerBuilder?

It's a file I always have to change as the code for getting identity column values back for SQL Server doesn't work properly when there are triggers on the table.

Thanks.

Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 3 February 2021 03:28 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Aron

PB2019 R3 newly supports PowerBuilder Runtime. In this way, the client-side could install multiple PowerBuilder Runtime versions. And the future PB 2021 PowerBuilder Runtime can be compatible with the PB 2019 R3 PowerBuilder Runtime.

"The runtime file (including .dll, .ini, .pbx, .pbd, etc.) is renamed so that the version number indicator (such as "170", "190") that used to be appended to the file name is removed, for example, pbvm190.dll is renamed as pbvm.dll." You can refer to the link below for details

https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/application_techniques/ch09s02.html#Installing_PowerBuilder_Runtime

The ini file contains pblab190.inipbodb190.ini.

Regards,

Ken

Comment
  1. Aron Cox
  2. Wednesday, 3 February 2021 07:47 AM UTC
Thanks Ken. It does mean if we ship the runtime with each of our many applications we get a much larger deployment footprint, so we have some thinking to do. I mean we always could install multiple runtimes, even into a single folder thanks to the old naming system, but I suppose that didn't support multiple rumtime patches for the same version.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 16:41 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Aaron;

Yes, all runtime PB files now in PB2019 R3 and higher will no longer use the numbering scheme.

FYI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ8De8keXH4

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 18:36 PM UTC
what about pblab.ini - for labels? its not in the runtime directory.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 18:44 PM UTC
I found a pblab.ini where my pb.ini is:

C:\Users\miguel.RSL\AppData\Local\Appeon\PowerBuilder 19.0\
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 18:59 PM UTC
Its in the IDE directory too.

Files that may be used at runtime should be in those runtime directories.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.