1. Teresa MacDonald
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 28 March 2024 12:56 PM UTC

Good Morning,

My customer is currently working in PB2019 R2 with GIT source control. I was telling them about the features coming in version 2025, the new compiler being one of those. They would like to know if the file structure using ws_objects is going away?

Thank you,

Teresa

Bruce Armstrong Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 31 March 2024 21:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I think what's been missed in the responses so far is the fact that under the new compiler the source code will be stored in plain text format, the same as all other development IDEs.  The ws_objects folder isn't where PowerBuilder stores source code, it's just where it exports it to when it does an interaction with source code operations.  That means you're still limited to using the PowerBuilder source code control options.  That folder doesn't get updated until you perform a source control operation through PowerBuilder.

With the source code stored in plain text format you're then free to the source code version control tool of your choice.  We use bitbucket for source control, but for all my non PowerBuilder work (and my PowerBuilder work that doesn't involve PowerBuilder source code) I use Github Desktop to manage branches, pulls, pushes, etc.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 March 2024 14:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Teresa;

If you stay on the current "WorkSpace" approach, then "ws_objects" will be the same in PB 2025.

If you "optionally" switch to the new "Solution" approach, then "ws_objects" is replaced with a new ".PB" tracking folder ...

• Old SCCAPI based SCM solutions will no longer be supported (ie: VSS, Perforce, etc).
  • PBLs are now O/S folders
  • You will only be able to use either GIT or SVN SCM's with PB 2025's "Solution" approach.

Of course, these things are not fixed in stone yet and could change.  HTH

Regards .. Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 1 April 2024 14:08 PM UTC
Hi Ferdinand;

No, individual PBL=>PBD compilations are no longer possible using the "Solution" approach. Also, individual PBR=>PBD is also no longer possible. To keep these features, you would need to stay with the "WorkSpace" approach (unless of course, the "Solution" approach design is amended as Engineering develops this feature further.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Monday, 1 April 2024 14:51 PM UTC
Are the source files the same .sr* files as before? How does the IDE Run work in this new scheme? How does deployment to end users work?
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 2 April 2024 16:00 PM UTC
Hi Roland;

Yes, the Alpha version that I an running has the SRx files in a PBL "Folder" but thus far (as far as I can see) they are in the same format as if you exported these objects from the PBL in the current PB 2022 Rx releases. HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 March 2024 13:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi, Teresa - 

I suggest you (and the your customer, if so inclined) review portions of the Elevate 2023 Keynote session, available for replay here:

https://www.appeon.com/conference/elevate-2023/keynote-session

While there is a lot of good info in this session, I think you'll be most interested in the content beginning at timestamps 36:45, 48:00 and 54:40.

Please keep in mind all information regarding PB 2025 is subject to change at this point in time.

Best regards, John

Comment
Andreas Mykonios Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 March 2024 13:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi.

We do have limited information about that. What you must know is that you won't be obligated to use the new compiler. If you choose to use it, then I guess that ws_objects may not exist, but you will have a similar structure, so I don't think this will be a big issue.

Andreas.

Comment
  1. Teresa MacDonald
  2. Thursday, 28 March 2024 13:47 PM UTC
Andreas, Thank you for your reply.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.