1. Mike Kochevar
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 27 October 2023 19:22 PM UTC

Hello,

I am upgrading to PB2022 and will compile as 64-bit. There is a third party tool called coolmenu in our software that is 32-bit. So far I cannot compile in 64-bit because the 32-bit coolmenu.dll. Has anyone else ran into this problem and if so what was the workaround.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Accepted Answer
Mike Kochevar Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 12 December 2023 16:02 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

I was able to get the dll to compile as 64-bit. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Mike Kochevar Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 31 October 2023 13:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I was able to download the code for CoolMenu.dll and as John stated it is all C++ code. I am working though getting my visual studio environment setup to compile C++ projects. I would love to refactor the CoolMenu.dll out of the application but I am not sure how to do that. There is also another third party tool in our application called AdvanceGui (Ultimate Suite) that I am having problems with. Fortunately this product offers a PB2022 solution.

But for now I am going to try and compile the CoolMenu.dll as 64-bit.

Thanks to everyone for their time on this matter, I appreciate everyone!!

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Tuesday, 31 October 2023 13:36 PM UTC
Ultimate Suite is 100% PowerBuilder code so it should compile to 64-bit without problems. If you do have problems, it is well supported.

All the features of CoolMenu are probably supported by Ultimate Suite so it would be better to switch to that.
  1. Helpful
Bruce Armstrong Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 28 October 2023 09:44 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

The original source code is available here:  http://pbsite.milente.nl.  You could download the source code and recompile it for 64 bit

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 29 October 2023 16:41 PM UTC
Hi Miguel;

All my browsers & AV software are blocking this site as Malware! I would not use it personally. I was just reading an article last night ... Did you know that 500,000 new Malware software is released every day!!!! :-(

Personally, I think the the right ROI moving forward for Mike would be to A) stay on 32 bit, B) Refactor CoolMenu "Out" of the App, C) either return to using standard PB menus (using the new "contemporary" style OR refactor the App to use the new Ribbon Bar control. IMHO, that would be a much better use of development resources, remove the dependence on CoolMenu (high risk software, and allow the App to move forward (future proofing it). Just my $0.02.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful 2
  1. Bruce Armstrong
  2. Sunday, 29 October 2023 17:07 PM UTC
I've looked at the source code posted there and can confirm it's just a Visual Studio project, not a Russian bot in disguise. While I would agree that refactoring the app to use some of the new native PB features like themes and the ribbon bar is your best long term solution, you still have an option to move forward into 64 bit with the existing utility, provided you are comfortable doing the 64 bit compilation of it.
  1. Helpful 1
  1. John Fauss
  2. Sunday, 29 October 2023 18:59 PM UTC
Mike raised a CoolMenu-related issue almost three years ago when he was migrating an app (possibly the same app?) from PB 12.5 to 2019. Around that time I looked briefly at the downloaded CoolMenu source code... long enough to see that a migration of it to 64-bit was beyond my limited C++ skills. As I recall, it uses a lot of WinAPI calls - many of which contain Windows handles. I think there were also some WinAPI structures that had 32-to-64 bit differences. Anyway, there were several more pressing demands on my time and although it was interesting, it had very low priority, so I had to let it go. I believe it is possible to migrate CoolMenu to 64-bit, but it will require someone with more C++ and Visual Studio experience than I have in order to accomplish it.
  1. Helpful 3
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 27 October 2023 19:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Mike;

Yes, "CoolMenu" was a 32 bit add-on. Unfortunately, that vendor went out of business a long time ago. So, you'll never get a 64 bit version AFAIK. Therefore, you will need to keep your PB app as a 32bit app until you get rid of the CoolMenu add-on.

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 29 October 2023 16:42 PM UTC
FWIW: my Firefox blocks it.
  1. Helpful 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.