1. Tomáš Podzimek
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 10 October 2022 10:14 AM UTC

Hello,
I am still stuggling with a PB2022 app random crashes. I had the same issues with PB2021 and created a ticket.

I thought that with PB2022, being W11 compliant, these crashes won't reoccur. But it is still the same. It happens in different places all over the app. Very rarely it happens on my developer machine.
Errors we are getting:
pbdwe.dll
error code 0xc0000005 (Access violation)

pbshr.dll
error code 0x80000003 (A breakpoint has been reached)

comctl32.dll
error code 0xc000041d (An unhandled exception was encountered during a user callback)

What have I tried:
install all the dlls using Powerbuilder Runtime Packager
settings in the pb.ini:
[Data Window]
Accessibility=0

[DataStore Behavior]
UseHwnd=no

When the app starts to crash, it crashes every time on the same place. The only thing that helps (temporarily) is a restart. But that's not what we can advise to our customers.
It looks like these are memory related issues. We need some solution ASAP. Is there some sort of logging we can do to collect more info? Anything helpful will be appreciated.

The same app runs nicely using PB 12.1.

Regards,

Tomáš

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 10 October 2022 14:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Are you using any external functions (Windows API functions)? The data types choices must be correct, before it was more forgiving.

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 10 October 2022 16:30 PM UTC
Good thought Roland as the C++ compiler & therefore PB runtime is much newer in PB 2022. However, if the problem is experienced in PB 2021, the C++ compiler is the same that Sybase used way back when.
  1. Helpful
  1. Tomáš Podzimek
  2. Tuesday, 11 October 2022 11:16 AM UTC
Yes, we are using external functions, but as Chris said, it also happened in PB2021. And sometimes, no API calls are made when the crash happens - it crashes during casual work, i. e. retrieving data or choosing an item from dropdownlist.

Today I got some new info from our customer. They are running our app using Terminal Service. It is installed on a server and users run it from there. Out of 10 users, there are 3 of them who experience crashes. They got crashes repeatedly on the same places, for example when sending mail using MAPI. We have no info on users' machines (so far). When we connect to their server and run the app, it is ok.

I have some logs from event viewer. I will post it in a new support ticket, as Chris suggested.

Regards,

Tomáš

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Tomáš Podzimek Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 10 October 2022 13:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Chris,

yes, I can. In our current PB22 app, we are using only native PDF generation. Everything else remains the same, for now. And I don't think the crashing is related to the PDF generation. The crash happens before.

In the first step, we were trying to migrate our app as it is just to see if it works. And it seems it (sometimes) does not.

Unfortunately, I am not able to create a small sample app that crashes.

Regards,

Tomáš

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 10 October 2022 14:37 PM UTC
Hi Tomáš;

Thank you for that App background information!

Even though you do not have a simple reproducible test case, you do have various mini-crash dumps from the sound of it.

I would suggest opening a Support Ticket & include various sampling of crash dumps. Also include the app differences in the ticket that you mentioned here.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 10 October 2022 13:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Tomáš;

Can you tell us more about your app & especially the differences between the 12.1 version & 2021/2022 versions. For example:

• DB drivers 
  • Use of Themes 
  • Use of web browser control 
  • PDF generation (Ghostscript vs Native)
  • Etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.