1. Lucia Radita
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 31 March 2021 23:35 PM UTC

Hello Appeon team,

We have a purchased license of PB2019R3, active as of 21st March.

We have an application done in PB, migrated to different versions on PB.

This year we upgraded from PB2017R3 to PB2019R3

The application project was migrated with no issue and we were working on it.

Since few days, when I open PB, I have below message although nothing changed in regard to my PB software installation.

Why this message is displayed? What validation is done to get to this message?

Thank you for your reply

Lucia Radita

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 31 March 2021 23:44 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Lucia;

This message was introduced in PB2019R3 when the IDE and runtime were now detached. This new behaviour was introduced when your Workspace contains more than one Target. As you can see from the message itself though, you can suppress it from coming back all the time.

There has already been a few Support Tickets on this new behaviour and these have generated a request over to Engineering to see if they can reduce the frequency of when you see this based only if actual changes have been done.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Ricardo Jasso Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 1 April 2021 00:28 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Lucia,

In Feb 21, 2021 Appeon announced PB 2019 R3 GA version which, as Chris mentioned, separates the IDE from the runtime. This release includes the following runtime versions:

2556 built on Sep 9, 2020

2622 built on Dec 7, 2020

2670 built on Jan 21, 2021, the same date as the IDE

You can change the runtime version in the Tools/System Options menu. You need to restart PB so it can load the selected version. When doing so, the IDE will show the message you mention to remind you that you need to full build the current application, whether you have one or many targets in your workspace.

You may have inadvertently changed the runtime version, that's why you are getting the message. It'll keep appearing until the target, or targets, are fully rebuilt, or until you select the don't show checkbox. Or you could change the runtime version back to the one the application was last built on to avoid the message.

Regards,

Ricardo

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 1 April 2021 14:54 PM UTC
No, as soon as you start working on a a workspace with multiple targets, that message starts appearing all the time. Even just a simple return to a WS or an IDE restart when *nothing* has changed activates that message all the time. I found that initially in the R3 Beta when working on my STD framework and reported it. It's still an issue but, nothing to worry about. Just a nuisance.
  1. Helpful
  1. Ricardo Jasso
  2. Monday, 5 April 2021 17:35 PM UTC
I just made a test and found no issues at all. I cloned the application two times so I now have three targets. I changed the RT from 2670 to 2622 and restarted the IDE. The message starts showing and if I hit Cancel it'll show two more times. I restart the IDE again and hit OK when the message appears as expected. The first target is fully rebuilt then the message appears again for the second target. If I hit Cancel for this and the next target and restart the IDE the message will appear again for the second target and for the third. After rebuilding all targets the message never appears again.
  1. Helpful
  1. Ricardo Jasso
  2. Monday, 5 April 2021 18:49 PM UTC
What I do notice is that there are two internal properties that can hold the runtime version, appruntimeversion and fullbuildruntimeversion, and although I changed the runtime version to 2670 on System Options and did a full rebuild directly on the target they hold different values:

string fullbuildruntimeversion = "19.2.0.2622"

string appruntimeversion = "19.2.0.2670"

Maybe this is the source of the sporadic issue that has been reported.
  1. Helpful
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 1 April 2021 08:40 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Lucia

PB 2019 R3 has added a new internal property, appruntimeversion, to the Application Object, as shown in the screenshot below.

When you open the PB IDE, it will detect each PBT in the PBW. It will pop up this prompt whenever there is a difference between the Application Object's appruntimeversion and the PB IDE's Runtime version. Of course, you can also disable the prompt in System Option.

But if your Application Object's appruntimeversion is the same as the PB IDE's Runtime version, and it still pops up this prompt, then this may be a Bug. Could you provide the PBL that contains the Application Object for our analysis?

Regards,

Ken

Comment
Lucia Radita Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 12 April 2021 16:02 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hello Appeon team,

Ken,

I added the line with "appruntimeversion" to my application object, I regenerated it and the message disappeared.

For some reason was not there (or was inadvertently removed).

Thank you for your support.

Lucia

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 12 April 2021 16:29 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 12 April 2021 19:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Lucia et Al;

I have had the same issue with my STD Frameworks and it seems like a bug (I have an open ticket for this) where the following is true ...

1) You are migrating from an older version of PB.

2) You have multiple targets pointing to the same App Object.

3) The appruntimeversion = "" is set to empty by the PB IDE migration process

So now that message will always be displayed no matter what. However, the workaround is to edit this setting on the App Object's source ... appruntimeversion = "19.2.0.2670" manually (as you now know). Then upon a Full Build, this issue should be corrected and the message should stop coming back.

However, the above does not always work. It depends on the Target objects type (hence my open ticket - which Appeon Engineering has recreated).

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.