1. Jeffrey Alonzo
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 6 December 2018 16:41 PM UTC

Hi Gurus,

One of our applications is crashing after migrating to PB2017R3 (running app using PB IDE or built).  It shuts down after 3 minutes either active or idle.  This application uses PFC, but migrating or not migrating the framework still results on the same behavior.  We currently have this thought that this issue is within the application code that is not compatible with PB2017, but it's difficult to figure out as of now.  I looked on an unresolved post for possible answers, but it seems to be not applicable to our issue.

Event log:

Faulting application name: PB170.EXE, version: 17.2.0.1858, time stamp: 0x5b6318f9
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.2608, time stamp: 0x5bd1345f
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000d9741
Faulting process id: 0x4188
Faulting application start time: 0x01d48d7b3c9221eb
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\PowerBuilder 17.0\PB170.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 237a8dff-b436-41c5-8936-32bdda40d997
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Please advise, I can provide more details.  Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 6 December 2018 16:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Jeff;

The ntdll.dll is a DLL developed originally by Oracle and now adopted by MS-Windows as part of the O/S's exposing the WinAPI SDK calls to any application. The fact that it failed in there might indicate that your App was performing some sort of O/S external function call when it failed.

Since your application was just idling at the time of failure ... does your App use various timers in the background? If so, do any of those fire events of functions that issue MS-Windows calls?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 14 December 2018 20:54 PM UTC
Thanks!

Hmmm ... That's not a big PB run-time base code change. I am surprised at the stability issue. However, when I was upgrading my STD framework to PB 12.6 & PB2017, I did notice that had to "tweak" a few old MS-Windows SDK calls from ANSI to Unicode ("W" - wide) calls in order to make a few things work OK. So you might want to review your External Function declarations.

Also, check to see if you have any active Window "Timer" events or TIMING NVUO features in play. That also includes what your App might be doing on the IDLE event as well.

1. Helpful
  1. Jeffrey Alonzo
  2. Thursday, 20 December 2018 16:47 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

We have tried your recommendations and it didn't work. We narrowed down that this is an incompatibility issue, so I submitted a ticket.

Thanks,

Jeff
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 20 December 2018 18:43 PM UTC
Hi Jeff;

Looks like ticket #2023.

I see that Adrian from Appeon has responded to you on that ticket already for more information.

Cheers!

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.