1. Gordon Weil
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 15 October 2019 16:37 PM UTC

I am trying to create an installation to deploy my PB 2019 application to client machines. I have done this with every version of PB since probably PB8 but I cannot get my PB 2019 app to work with the PB 2019 msi or msm files.

The app works fine if I run the executable on my development machine, with all the deployment dlls installed as part of PB 2019.

When I try installing either the msi or msm generated from the PB 2019 Runtime Packager on a test computer the app does not start. Looking at the event logger it says there is an exception code 0xc0000005 in PBVM190.dll version 19.0.0.2082.

With the msi generated from the Runtime Packager I checked every single box, so I think I have everything that the installation would need.

I tried sticking a messagebox at the beginning of the executable code, and the messagebox does not show in the test machine but it does on my development machine. So I think the program is crashing before it gets to any executable code I have written.

Any suggestions on how to fix or debug this?

Accepted Answer
Gordon Weil Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 October 2021 17:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Realized I never closed out this thread.

The problem was that I did not have all the PBD files for my application. When I included all the PBD files it ran without crashing.

Comment
  1. John Fauss
  2. Thursday, 28 October 2021 17:42 PM UTC
Thank you for letting us know how you resolved the issue and for marking it resolved, Gordan!
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 28 October 2021 18:06 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 15 October 2019 18:24 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Gordon;

Most likely, you could be missing the VC++ run-time DLL's. These are not packaged by the PB Packager Utility for the MSI. You would have to either install the VC++ run-time DLL's from Microsoft or manually copy these from your development environment to the deployed PC.

Have a look in the PB2019 Help under the search keyword "deployment". Then proceed to "Deployment Techniques" => "PB Run-time Files". Note the following section ... Microsoft Files

I would also suggest reading the "Core Run-time files" and "Additional Run-times" sections as well.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Gordon Weil Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 15 October 2019 20:23 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I fixed the installation so it included the files atl100.dll, msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll, and verified that the files get installed. I still get the same error. I will study the deployment section some more, maybe I'll find something else that is missing.

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 15 October 2019 21:48 PM UTC
Make sure too that you're installing the correct runtime bitness that matches your apps bitness. ;-)
  1. Helpful
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 15 October 2019 21:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I don't know why appeon can't provide a zip with all run-time files in it that we can simply download, or install runtimes in a runtime directory during the PB install.  

then we can remove any dlls that don't apply (if we want to even bother with that), yet have everything possible to make sure we can easily get our installs to run.  

it wasn't as big deal to have to figure this stuff out ourselves when sybase would take 5 years to put out a new release, but with these fast release cycles figuring out the dlls' to include is very painful.  the names all look alike and they have no logic in terms of names to group the run times together.   it is rather sadistic.

Comment
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 October 2019 00:33 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hey Mike, I agree to large extent.

PB runtime installs legacy style like .NET Framework: One, complex install to avoid duplicate files (to save disk space). Unfortunately this creates cross-app dependency. All apps must roll to new build at exactly the same moment in time.

Modern style deploy like you describe is also the way .NET Core installs. Side-by-side with each app (ample disk sizes these days). Complete app-to-app independence and much simpler installs (copy files and you're done).

I don't know how complex (read costly) it will be for Appeon to throw out all the install stuff that PowerSoft/Sybase/SAP created over three decades and write a new installer. Since Web API part (SnapObjects etc.) is founded on .NET Core it is only the PowerScript + DataWindow runtime that needs special attention.

This is worth discussing with Appeon at Elevate to indicate how widespread interest there is.
HTH /Michael

Comment
Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 October 2019 00:51 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Mike, 

I remember you submitted a ticket earlier to us, and actually we think it a great idea to provide zip files all run-time file. So we addressed it for 2017 R2 and R3. See this knowledgebase article: https://www.appeon.com/developers/get-help/knowledgebase/powerbuilder-runtime-files-2017-r3-1858-and-2017-r3-mr-1880.html

And today I urgently uploaded the runtime files for 2019 GA version as well. Pls. see: https://www.appeon.com/developers/get-help/knowledgebase/powerbuilder-runtime-files-2019-2082.html.

Best regards, Julie

Comment
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Wednesday, 16 October 2019 08:23 AM UTC
Wonderful, Julie!

This gives us the alternative vs. legacy and modern install types.
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 October 2019 01:14 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Take a look at your PATH environment variable.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.