1. John Niespodzianski
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Saturday, 7 October 2023 21:50 PM UTC

Hello,

I have a PB app that was built on 2019, then migrated all the way up to 2022 R1.

No issues building and deploying the app.  It runs fine on other PCs/Laptops with the applicable runtime.  I've been through the exercise of combing through the required files, etc. so I can deploy cleanly.

I migrated the app to PB 2022 R2 and gave it a facelift - I took advantage of the new themes and ribbonbar.  Looks great!  Runs great... in my IDE and the EXE runs on my dev machine.

I set up the 2022 R2 runtime files, deployed with the EXE... and it will not run on any other computer.

When you launch the EXE it just spins and nothing happens.

I added message boxes in the app open event, etc. - they pop up fine on my dev machine.  I don't even get to the 1st one when deploying to another machine.

So something is amiss - I triple checked all required runtime files, deployed the theme folder, and still no luck.

The new R2 features (SMTP client, Ribbon support, etc) are all awesome and I want to take advantage of them; but obviously the app has to run. :)

I am hoping I am just missing something obvious - I welcome any thoughts!  I've read through the app techniques and other docs and I don't believe I've missed anything.  But the behavior says I did.

Thanks,

John

John Niespodzianski Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 21 October 2023 19:29 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Just wanted to post a follow-up on this.

I finally figured it out - I had an older copy of Ijwhost.dll in the application runtime folder.

Once I replaced it with the R2 version dated 7/28/2023 the EXE was able to run successfully.

Thanks for the feedback and tips - they definitely helped me tighten the screws on a few things, so it's a very happy ending.

John

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 8 October 2023 20:20 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Did you include the Microsoft runtime files listed in the PB Help?

I've seen reports in the Q&A of issues being caused by anti-virus/anti-malware software. Can you temporarily disable these and see if the app starts?

Comment
John Niespodzianski Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 8 October 2023 13:35 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I build a custom INNO installer with all of the runtime files & deploy them to the same directory.  This way the user only has to run 1 setup program.

I did verify the XML file is there - however hint #3 helped as it was pointing to the default runtime folder vs. my application runtime folder.

Unfortunately I modified it and redeployed to another laptop - same thing.  I verified that THEME.INI is set to default to Do Not Use Themes.

Comment
  1. John Niespodzianski
  2. Sunday, 8 October 2023 17:43 PM UTC
Chris, did you mean RB control's XML file? RibbonBar.xml? The only JSON files I see in the runtime is the Manifest.json and a bunch of Appeon.DB JSON files.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 8 October 2023 18:17 PM UTC
Hi John;

You can use either file format...

https://docs.appeon.com/pb2022/pbug/Creating_a_RibbonBar.html

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 15 October 2023 20:45 PM UTC
Hi John;

Check out the "SalesDemo" app that comes with PB 2021 or 2022 IDE install. It has a RB control implementation.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 8 October 2023 03:03 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi, John - 

Can you test a deployment and installation on a non-developer PC where themes has been disabled? This might help to eliminate or confirm the addition of themes as a cause of the problem.

Best regards, John

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 8 October 2023 01:35 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi John;

This could most likely be due to ...

1. You did not install all the PB R2 runtime modules via using the PB Packager utility to create an installer.
  2. You did not deploy the compiler generated <App name>.XML file into the same folder as the PB App's EXE on the deployment machine
  3. You did not edit the XML file on the deployment machine to point to where you installed the PB runtime from step #1.

HTH

Regards .... Chris 

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.