1. Michael Ray
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 8 December 2023 02:15 AM UTC

Not complaining, just joining effort to make PB a better product...
Background:
New Windows11 box, no development software installed. Then installed: SQL Anywhere 12 64bit, SQL Anywhere Studio 9 32bit, PB installer, PB 2022 R2 (all options), SQL Anywhere 12 deployment (msi, 32bit ODBC driver).

Issues:
1. SQL Anywhere 12 64bit not found by PB (IDE?) install
Temporarily cancelled PB install to install SQL Anywhere 12 deployment (32bit ODBC driver). Still, PB install didn't find it. Also, two SQL Anywhere 12 environment variables were changed incorrectly (not sure which of the two installs messed these up).

2. SQL Anywhere runtime - where is it?
PB Help | Search "runtime files": List of runtime files | Database connections | ODBC database drivers and supporting files | SQL Anywhere files
Here the PB documentation discusses that the runtime "...is available in the PowerBuilder setup program". A list of files refer to v11 and the installed path refers to v16. Where is the runtime?

3. PB install | All DB drivers unchecked except ODBC. Yet they appear: IDE | Database Profiles (32-bit) | Installed Database Interfaces
The drivers do not appear in the ODBC Data Source Administrator (32bit).

4. PB IDE | Open Workspace | edit w_frame | view open event: the window tile reads "Script - open for  returns long"
The object name "w_frame" is missing. Should read "...for w_frame returns long". The tab text does display "w_frame". The object name is missing for other ancestor windows (w_about, w_toolbars,...), but for descendant windows it displays correctly.

5. runtime file pbcrypt.dll is needed though feature not used
A simple desktop application does not use "Encryption and decryption support", but would not run correctly without pbcrypt.dll. Could open w_about (just text) without issue, but if opening a window containing a datawindow who's datasource was a database the application crashes (without doing a retrieve).

Edit 12/8/2023: - added a couple of words to #1 to clarify. - removed words in #5 to not confuse.

Michael Ray Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 21 December 2023 18:26 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Summary of resolutions:

1. SQL Anywhere 12 64bit not found by PB (IDE?) install

The PB install process does not include C:\Program Files (x86)\SQL Anywhere 12\BIN32 in it's ODBC driver search. The plan is to include this directory in 2022 R3.

2. SQL Anywhere runtime - where is it?

The PB documentation incorrectly states that a runtime is available. The documentation needs to be updated to remove this section.

3. PB install | All DB drivers unchecked except ODBC. Yet they appear: IDE | Database Profiles (32-bit) | Installed Database Interfaces

This issue is acknowledged and will be corrected in 2022 R3.

4. PB IDE | Open Workspace | edit w_frame | view open event: the window tile reads "Script - open for  returns long"

This issue is acknowledged and will be submitted to development team.

5. runtime file pbcrypt.dll is needed though feature not used

This file is a required file for deployment (if you use a datawindow or ESQL). The documentation needs to be updated.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 21 December 2023 23:20 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the status of these issues!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 12 December 2023 02:59 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Michael,

#4. The object name "w_frame" is missing in the window title. 

We have reproduced this bug locally. It is a Sybase legacy bug. We have submitted it to the development team to handle it.

#5. Runtime file pbcrypt.dll is needed though feature not used.

Starting from PB 2021, we have encrypted dw syntax and ESQL when saving to pbl, and decrypted them at runtime, so we need to use pbcrypt.dll. This DLL is a Core runtime file:

You can refer to this link: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2022/application_techniques/PowerBuilder_runtime_files.html

Regards,

Ken

Comment
  1. Michael Ray
  2. Tuesday, 12 December 2023 17:08 PM UTC
Hi Ken,

#4. You found it. Great.

#5. Well then the PB documentation you refer to should have the word "All. " under the heading "Required for". I wonder if you mean "... saving to pbd" and not "... saving to pbl"?
  1. Helpful
  1. Ken Guo @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 13 December 2023 07:50 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

#5. Yes, We will improve the description in Help. Save to PBL first, and then PBL generates PBD, that is, PBL and PBD are handled in the same way.

Regards,

Ken

1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 11 December 2023 02:52 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

#2 - Usually C:\Program Files\SQL Anywhere 17

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 11 December 2023 23:39 PM UTC
Hi Roland;

SAP has not dropped SA & it's still being sold & supported by them (or their DB partners).

When Appeon took over PB from SAP, only InfoMaker was included in that deal. All other products remained the property of SAP.

Regards... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Tuesday, 12 December 2023 00:07 AM UTC
Chris, you've misunderstood what I said. They dropped the runtime engine. For version 11 that is rteng11.exe. Version 12 and higher do not have rteng##.exe.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 12 December 2023 00:11 AM UTC
Ahhh ... Sorry Roland I was thinking product not RTE. It was Sybase though that dropped the SA RTE after taking over PB from PowerSoft. ;-)
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 8 December 2023 16:29 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking constructive positive approach to make PB better.

For issues #3-5, is it possible for you to open a support ticket.  Appeon Support team might need some more info to reproduce in case it is environment or project-specific issues, and also we can properly track these issues make sure they are resolved in a future maintenance release.

As far as issues #1 and 2, it seems to me these are SQL Anywhere product issues.  SQL Anywhere is not a product under Appeon's control.  If I misunderstand these issues, please help clarify.

Thanks,
Armeen

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 8 December 2023 21:17 PM UTC
OK, I understand now. We will ask our team to look into these. If we have trouble reproducing, I will let you know so you open support ticket.
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Mora Wang @Appeon
  2. Monday, 11 December 2023 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Thanks for reporting these valuable problems:

There is still something I need to confirm with you. Please help provide some clues. Thanks!

>1. SQL Anywhere 12 64bit not found by PB (IDE?) install

>Temporarily cancelled PB install to install SQL Anywhere 12 deployment (32bit ODBC driver). Still, PB install didn't find it.

Is SQL Anywhere 12 64bit (ODBC) not found in PB offline installation package or during Appeon PowerBuilder Installer online installation or in PB IDE? To accurately analyze the problem, please provide specific operation steps and screenshots or operation videos.

> Also, two SQL Anywhere 12 environment variables were changed incorrectly (not sure which of the two installs messed these up).

Which two environment variables are you referring to? Are you referring to Environment Variables > System Variables > Path >Edit Environment Variable > C:\Program Files\SQL Anywhere 12\bin64 and C:\Program Files\SQL Anywhere 12\bin32? What are the original values of them? What are they changed into? If you can provide a clear process and screenshots, it would be very helpful.

> 2. SQL Anywhere runtime - where is it?

Sorry. This is indeed a problem. The document content is not updated and is still using the historical version, we will correct this problem in the future.

> 3. PB install | All DB drivers unchecked except ODBC. Yet they appear: IDE | Database Profiles (32-bit) | Installed Database Interfaces.The drivers do not appear in the ODBC Data Source Administrator (32bit).

It is inferred that you used the PB offline package to do the installation. We are analyzing the problem, if you can provide a clear process and screenshots, it will be very helpful to analyze.

PS: In order to better track and handle the case, please submit a ticket at https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/newbug. Thanks!

Best Regards

Mora

1. Helpful
  1. Michael Ray
  2. Tuesday, 12 December 2023 18:42 PM UTC
Ticket submitted for issues #1 and 3.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 8 December 2023 02:31 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Michael;

Are you trying to install the latest PB 2022 R2:build # 2828?

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 8 December 2023 17:20 PM UTC
Great .. yes, build 1900 had some issues as it was the 1st GA release.

Build 2828 should have addressed most your issues!

BTW: I originally reported all the SA issues that you found too in my GA install testing. They should be OK now in build 2828.

The pbcrypt DLL should not be required unless used. There was a ticket opened for that way back in build 1900.
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Ray
  2. Friday, 8 December 2023 17:58 PM UTC
Well, build 2828 is what I'm using (with no previous PB installs) and these issues still exist.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 8 December 2023 18:16 PM UTC
Thanks for letting us know. I am on 2828 but did not encounter most of these. However, I am using SA 17. Maybe that's a factor?
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.