1. Andy Preman
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 24 January 2022 20:18 PM UTC

We just upgraded from PB 2019 to PB 2021 Build 1311.  Tested our application and all seemed OK.  After releasing it to our customers some are complaining that the application crashes when it is started.  After investigating, the event log is reporting a crash of PBVM.DLL, (We include the runtime DLL's in the same folder as the application).

The crash seems random and is only happening to a small number of users.  After playing around with a customers installation, I stumbled on a work around but don't know why it works.  If I set the application to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode it works fine.

Does anyone have a similar issue or know why compatibility mode solves the problem?

Thanks,

Andy

Who is viewing this page
Erick Siliezar Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 7 June 2022 21:54 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi everyone, I noticed the runtime path was not included into the environment variables. After include the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 21.0.0.1509" into the environment variables now my tool is working fine.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 7 June 2022 22:25 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 27 April 2022 08:23 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Andy,

Since this is only happening to some of the machines, I suggest you use sfc to check if the system files are all right. Please refer to:
https://www.appeon.com/developers/get-help/knowledgebase/how-examine-and-fix-corrupted-machine-system-files.html 

Also, I suggest:
1. Install PowerBuilder Runtime on the client and see if the issue is gone. You can refer to the link below for installing PowerBuilder Runtime.
https://docs.appeon.com/pb2021/application_techniques/Deploying_Applications_and_Components.html#Installing_PowerBuilder_Runtime 
2. Add a pb.ini file to the directory where your PBapp.exe resides, and this file contains the following content.
[Data Window]
ACCESSIBILITY=0
3. Run your application with Run as administrator and see if it works normally.

Regards,
Ken

Comment
Heiko Betzler Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 26 April 2022 13:44 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hello Chris,

we have similar problems in two of our appliactions (PB2021.1506, random crashes on some customer clients). We want to try your suggested solution with the PB.ini.

What exactly must the PB.ini looks like? In which section of the INI do we need to insert the "accessibility=0" option?

Thanks for your support.

Best regards

Heiko

Comment
Andy Preman Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 25 January 2022 13:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Chris,

I will try your recommendation and let you know the results.

Thanks,

Andy

Comment
Andy Preman Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 25 January 2022 13:30 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Armeen,

Yes, we are deploying the correct runtime DLL's.  The crash does not happen with all installs, in fact only a few.  The installs where the crash happens, only running in compatibility mode seems to correct the problem. 

I will try Chris's recommendation of adding a pb.ini with accessibility=0 on the users that experiencing the crash.

Thanks,

Andy

Comment
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 24 January 2022 22:05 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Are you sure on the machines that have problems the runtime DLLs have been upgraded to 2021 version?  This is common cause of crash issues after upgrading.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 24 January 2022 21:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

Hi Andy;

You can also try creating a custom PB.ini file and copying this to your App EXE's deployment folder. In this custom INI set the Accessibility=0.

FYI: https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/is-setting-accessibility-0-in-the-pb-ini-file-a-valid-long-term-solution

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.