1. Rebecca Tollfree
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 15:18 PM UTC

Hi

You will have to forgive this question as I am still finding my feet with Powerbuilder, andI am a bit stumped by this one

I have migrated my code to PB 2019 R3, and deployed the code.

I have copied all the dlls from the C drive common/Powerbuilder/runtime 19.2.0.2670 folder (only those in the top level) into the same folder as my application executable and put it on the server

When I run the my application I get the error "there is currently no matching version, lowest supported version: 19.2.0.2670'

Any help would be gratefully received, as I have no idea what I am doing wrong!

Thanks and regards

Rebecca

Accepted Answer
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 15:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

look for the xml files that have the same name as your exe.  It gets generated along with the exe during the build.  You probably copied it with the exe.

Open it up and read it - you want to know how this works.

If the xml file exists, it uses the directory to look for the runtime files.  Not sure why anyone would want to do that as disk is cheap (free) and makes way more sense to just copy the runtimes in the same folder as the exe.

if you delete the xml file, then it uses the exe directory (i think), or maybe just the current directory.

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 18:19 PM UTC
i played around with this (changed my xml file to an invalid directory while having runtime dlls in the current directory), and i don't have problems running it.

so, my guess is that you copied the 64 bit dlls, or you compiled in 64 bit and copied the 32 bit dlls.
  1. Helpful
  1. Rebecca Tollfree
  2. Thursday, 28 January 2021 08:01 AM UTC
You're right ! I'd put the 32bit dlls into a 64bit build. I feel like a complete fool! Thank you so much for your help everyone!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Randy Bitts Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 15 April 2021 17:19 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

We are currently upgrading from PB17 to PB19R3 ... I am having the same issue

I have five servers, all have the runtime library installed in the same directory, that directory is in the path on the machines.

On one machine, the application starts perfectly.  On the other 4, I get the "There is currently no matching version" error.

These are all new Citrix servers, no other runtime ever installed on them.  All at the same Windows update level.  Same applications installed on all of them.

Any ideas why 1 works and 4 don't?

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Thursday, 15 April 2021 17:27 PM UTC
put the runtime dlls in the same directory as the application
  1. Helpful
  1. Randy Bitts
  2. Thursday, 15 April 2021 17:33 PM UTC
The runtime DLLs have never been in the same directory as the application, and they are not in the same directory as the application on the server that is currently working
  1. Helpful
Tom Peters Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 8 February 2021 19:04 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Good Day!

I am experiencing the same issue just running a vanilla build done via orcascr190.exe. All the updated DLLs are in my PATH and I even tried a Start In (shortcut) pointing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2670.

Now, I always do my builds with the x64 option in BUILD executable. This was working until I upgraded to R3. My understanding is that I do not need the XML if the DLLs are available.

Is there anything special I need to do for x64 builds done via orcascr190.exe?

In the meantime, I am trying a build project in the PB IDE.

Thanks!

Tom

Comment
  1. Tom Peters
  2. Monday, 8 February 2021 19:16 PM UTC
Right, but I thought I'd try it as a Start In for the shortcut only. Even when I do not point there, I am getting the error.
  1. Helpful
  1. Tom Peters
  2. Monday, 8 February 2021 19:23 PM UTC
I went ahead and installed the 64 bit runtime on my machine as though it were a client machine and not a developer machine. I will try with C:\Program Files\Appeon\Shared\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2670 as the Start In.

I am not sure why this is needed on a developer machine with the IDE installed, but I will try and let all know.
  1. Helpful
  1. Tom Peters
  2. Monday, 8 February 2021 19:27 PM UTC
Oh, for crying out loud... I totally forgot about the new ability to switch runtimes. Of course I have to install the runtime! Thanks, and sorry!
  1. Helpful
Mark Lee @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 January 2021 08:31 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Rebecca,

I could reproduce your issue locally but my repro steps are different than yours.

The error occurs when there is no Runtime library files & XML file with the name the same as that of the application executable under the directory where your application executable exists.

PB 2019 R3 doesn't like the previous versions, when it compiles & generates an EXE (like genapp.exe), an XML file with the same name (like genapp.xml) will be generated to the same directory.

As Mike said, when there is no XML file with the same name of your application executable under the directory where the EXE resides, in the meantime, you copy all correct DLLs from the C drive common/Powerbuilder/runtime 19.2.0.2670 folder, your application should be able to run correctly. Unless it is a 32-bit app with non-32-bit runtime files.

Or you can copy this XML file to the same folder of your application executable in client machine and modify the path in the XML file to specify the runtime package path.

You can refer to the following link to configure which version of PowerBuilder Runtime will be used by the application executable:

https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/application_techniques/ch09s02.html#Selecting_a_version_of_PB_Runtime 

Regards,

Comment
  1. Rebecca Tollfree
  2. Thursday, 28 January 2021 08:43 AM UTC
Thanks Mark

I didn't put an xml file into the application directory - I will look into this further, as I didn't realise this was created with the deploy.

I've inherited a PB v8 application which I am attempting to bring up to date: this is all a bit new to me, so really appreciate everyone's help
  1. Helpful
  1. Tracy Lamb
  2. Thursday, 7 October 2021 23:46 PM UTC
Thanks Mark! I have an application that I deploy to several different companies. The XML file "always" points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2703". My customers install the PB runtime engine with the PBRuntime intallation .msi file I provide, which installs the runtime dll's to a different directory, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\PowerBuilder Runtime Packager\Runtime 19.2.0.2703" . So I've just been manually changing the xml file to reflect the right directory. I put the correct directory in the project.... runtime path. Works like a charm!!!

Thanks again!
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 15:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi,

Is the path to your executable file present in the windows PATH environment variable?

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 17:14 PM UTC
changing the path should never be necessary. we never set that and we have a lot of installs over many versions of PB.

1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 27 January 2021 17:58 PM UTC
Not really, but we have customers who have a wide variety of old installations between pb 5.x and 2019 x. Some ran runtime installers, others set the path, funny problems with Citrix if not in the path, etc.

So basically we just do this to make sure the right version of runtimes is found, hopefully win some speed and

another reason is that once you save, read, open or write a file in a different directory than the one the app's EXE is in, you can suddenly no longer find the runtime DLLs if not in the PATH or a runtime has been INSTALLED. The way around that would be to assure that every time you do a file operation, you set the path back to where application resides using the ChangeDirectory() function, but that's something I've been adding only a year or 5 ago (when I started to work for this company) and there is a lot of code of the previous 15 years everywhere.

regards
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.