1. Craig Meinen
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 22 October 2021 16:16 PM UTC

I am running PB 2019 R3 on a Windows 10 OS.  Until yesterday things seemed fine.  Seemingly, out of nowhere, yesterday I could no long run my application from the IDE.  After clicking on the Run item the IDE/application seemed to hang until I killed the process.  Now the IDE crashes each time that I exit the IDE as well. I have attached a screenshot of the crash when exiting the IDE.

Any ideas as to what may have happened and what to do to remedy this?

Thank you.

Attachments (1)
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 26 October 2021 21:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

When this exact situation happened to me, it turned out to be a bad compile - and the application itself was just hosed.

To resolve this, I did a FULL BUILD on the app, then went through each PBL, selecting and REGENERATING the objects.
Sure enough, several of the windows had been messed up and had to be restored from back-up. Once they regenerated correctly, and once ALL ofthe hosed objects were corrected, everything returned to normal.

Comment
  1. Craig Meinen
  2. Thursday, 28 October 2021 01:11 AM UTC
Hi Olan.

Thank you for the suggestion. I followed the same procedure as you described, but still no luck. Everything seems to regenerate successfully, but the problem still persists.

I will continue to pursue this.

Thank you again for your reply. It is much appreciated.

1. Helpful
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Thursday, 28 October 2021 14:03 PM UTC
OK.

Open a differnt Workspace.

Add the problem target/app.

Do a Full Build. If the rebuild fails the IDE willshow you the problem object(s). Assuming the Rebuild succeeds, then:

Open each PBL in the app and regen each object one at a time. Yes, it's a PITA. And it's time consuming.

That's how I found and fixed my last hosed app.

Olan

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Craig Meinen Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 26 October 2021 16:25 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Mark.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I had completely forgotten that we could disable the workspace on startup. Changing the settings as you suggested has allowed me to open other workspaces again. Now I am able to look into the other applications as Chris mentioned.

Unfortunately the IDE still has problems running the applications.  Attached is a screen shot of the Task Manager while running the app from both the PB 2019 R3 and PB 12.5 IDEs.  The 12.5 IDE is operating as expected.

I will try one or two other workspaces, but at this point I would be surprised if I don't ultimately end up reinstalling the IDE.

Thank you again for the workspace suggestion.  It is much appreciated.

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Mark Goldsmith
  2. Tuesday, 26 October 2021 16:46 PM UTC
You're welcome Craig and best of luck figuring this out. An uninstall/ re-install is bit of an inconvenience but if you have to do so hopefully that resolves the issue for you.
  1. Helpful
Mark Goldsmith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 26 October 2021 01:11 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Craig,

I can't offer too much at this point with the problem of why this may be happening with that particular Workspace, but I wonder if you changed your settings to not open a Workspace upon starting the IDE if that will help you to continue trouble-shooting by switching Workspaces, per Chris' suggestion. Assuming the IDE is not so unstable that you can't access the menus, then click on Tools, System Options then go to the Workspaces tab and uncheck Reopen workspace on startup.

If it is so unstable such that you can't even access the menus to change this option before it crashes, then navigate to where your PB.INI file is located. This may depend upon where/ how you installed PowerBuilder but on my machine, for example, it's located in "C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Appeon\PowerBuilder 19.0". Then locate the line "ReopenWorkspace=1" and change the 1 to a 0, then try and start PowerBuilder again. You could also leave the setting as 1 but change the line in the PB.INI file that points to the last open Workspace ("LastWorkspace=........") and change it to a known working Workspace.

From there hopefully you would be able to open another Workspace, or maybe the previous working version of the Workspace in question, and continue trouble-shooting. However, if you still have a problem with the IDE crashing without a Workspace even open, or a known working Workspace open, then I would consider re-installing PowerBuilder.

PS...before you try and open a known working Workspace I would recommend making backups first.

HTH...regards,

Mark

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 24 October 2021 21:14 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Craig;

Do you have another workspace / target that allows you to run the App without any Enable libraries attached in order to rule out your App vs Enable as the issue?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Craig Meinen
  2. Monday, 25 October 2021 15:42 PM UTC
Hi Chris.

I have tried to switch workspaces, but at the moment I cannot close the current workspace and/or open a different one. When I try to do one of those the IDE crashes. It seems that I am literally stuck with the current workspace.

I'm beginning to think that the only option that I have at the moment is to re-install PB.

Thanks.

Craig

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 25 October 2021 19:59 PM UTC
Worth a try reinstall wise and/or return to a stable backup of the App's workspace if that does not work.
  1. Helpful
Craig Meinen Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 24 October 2021 20:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Chris.

As it turns out, I was incorrect in my initial assumption about what I was seeing.  The application didn't hang in the IDE.  It became extremely slow though.  We are using Enable from Novalys.  When I run the application from the IDE and I have the Enable functionality enabled, it takes almost 10 minutes to display the login splash screen.  If I disable the Enable functionality it gets to the login splash screen much faster, but the application still runs considerably slower than it used to from the IDE.  This seems to be limited to the IDE.  The deployed application seems to run fine.

There is another side-effect that I noticed.  Now when I try to close the workspace, the IDE crashes as well.  So I cannot even switch to another workspace now.  When I bring the IDE back up, it still comes up in the same workspace.  Do you think it would help to uninstall and re-install PB 2019 R3 or is there something else that I should be looking into?

Thank you.

Craig

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 22 October 2021 16:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Hi Craig;

Have you tried performing an "Optimize" on all your App PBLs, Full Build & then recycle the IDE to correct this issue?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Craig Meinen
  2. Friday, 22 October 2021 17:56 PM UTC
Hi Chris.

Thank you for the prompt response.

I have optimized all of the PBLs, done a full build and closed the IDE. it still stops working when I close it and it still hangs when I run the application from the IDE.

This is so strange. It was working fine for most of the day yesterday until I tried to run the application from it.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 22 October 2021 19:43 PM UTC
Hi Craig;

I get this situation in the extremely very odd time with my framework (which is very complex from the authoring perspective). Normally, it turns out to be some code that I added / changed that either is causing the runtime stability issue or more likely - caused an App crash that in turn had the IDE corrupt an object class and/or library. Since I normally make daily (at minimum) backups, 99.9% of the recovery was to restore the framework from my last good daily backup. I only backup too when the framework / PB App that I am testing is working 100%.

Another thing that has worked for me in the past in these rare stability cases, is to open the IDE's Object Browser., then select "Show Hierarchy" and then "Expand All". From there, perform a "Regenerate" from the TOP level ancestor. Make sure that you perform this action for all Menu, User Object and Window classes. Then perform a Full Build. That normally works for me 90+% of the time.

HTH
  1. Helpful
  1. Craig Meinen
  2. Friday, 22 October 2021 20:37 PM UTC
Hi Chris.

Thank you again for the reply. I will certainly look into both suggestions and let you know how things went. :-)

I really appreciate the help.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.
We use cookies which are necessary for the proper functioning of our websites. We also use cookies to analyze our traffic, improve your experience and provide social media features. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.