A strange new issue has come up since I migrated to PB 2019 R3. Unfortunately for me, two customers discovered this in production after I upgraded their applications.
It seems that the DataWindow Print() method fails with certain printer/driver combinations.
When printing a DW for the first time, the following printer notification from Windows pops up:
"Error printing on <printer name>
The printer couldn't print"
(screen capture. don't know if this will show)
Subsequent calls to Print() produce this notification:
"Printer is in an error state"
The print queue looks like this:
Here are additional details that may be useful:
- in one office with about 5-6 printers of various makes and models, this occurred with one printer but not others
- in another office with 20+ printers of various makes and models, this occurred with three printers
- these are the specific printers (so far) that I've found to have issues:
Lexmark MS410 Series XL
HP Color LaserJet M454
HP Color LaserJet M255dw
- in one case (that I tried), replacing the manufacturer-supplied driver with a generic driver fixed the issue (but of course removed various printer-specific features from the user)
- the issue occurs with both runtime 18.104.22.16870 and 22.214.171.12403
- the issues does NOT occur with PB 2019 R2
- I was able to reproduce the issue in development with my HP Color LaserJet M255dw (lucky me)
- The issue occurs both when running the app and in the DW painter when choosing File > Print Report
I'll also report this as a bug, but I thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone else had encountered this problem and come up with a workaround.