1. Douglas Holt
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 26 February 2021 01:19 AM UTC

I just ran my first 2019 R3 compile, and ran into a problem. On my development machine, when I tried to run the executable, I received an error message:

"The code execution cannot proceed because pbvm.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

I've tried a variety of application and compile types, and this only seems to happen with an application that has multiple PBLs, and is compiled as machine code. Otherwise things seem to be okay. If there is a workaround for this, I'd much appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks,

Doug Holt

Accepted Answer
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 February 2021 08:24 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Doug

Starting from version 2019 R3, a machine-code executable must add the location of PowerBuilder Runtime to the path environment variable or copy the runtime files to the same directory as the executable, before it can be run.

You can refer to the link below for details:

https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/application_techniques/ch09s01.html#Compiler_basics

Regards,

Ken

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Douglas Holt Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 27 February 2021 20:46 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Just to follow up, I added the runtime location to the path environment variable, rebooted the machine, and things ran very nicely. Again, thanks for the insights!

Doug

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Saturday, 27 February 2021 21:18 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 27 February 2021 19:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

When I experienced this, it turned out to be a bad copy of the PBVM.DLL. I replaced the one included in the compiler with a fresh copy from the installed RUNTIMES folder.

Olan

Comment
Douglas Holt Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 February 2021 19:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Thanks guys, I appreciate your tips, and will give them a try!

Doug

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 February 2021 01:34 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Doug;

This problem can occur where you did not deploy the <AppName>.XML file that the R3 compiler generates with the App's EXE. Both need to be copied into the same folder on the deployment machine. 

Note that the XML file might need to be edited on the deployment machine depending on where your PB run-time DLLs were deployed. Please see the PB Help system for more details on this aspect.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.