1. Karl Wooley
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 13 August 2019 19:30 PM UTC

We are currently trying out a trial version of PB 2019.  We are running against a SQL SERVER 2016 DB. Using the IDE we're able to connect, retrieve and update to the database.  When the .EXE is built we can only connect and retrieve from the DB.  No error msg is produced.  PB is running on Windows 10.  SS is running in a 64 bit environment.  Wondering if this is some kind of bit rate issue?  Or is there something we need on include in the .INI file for DBPARM when we connect to SS?  We are using a ODBC connection to the database using the SNC driver that came with Powerbuider.

Karl Wooley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 27 August 2019 17:17 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Cedric,

After some extensive troubleshooting w/Appeon it was discovered if I created .PBD's for each library in the application, versus having a library included with the .EXE, the application runs fine.  I have no idea why including a .PBL in the executable would cause the runtime to fail when updating the db???

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Tuesday, 27 August 2019 18:04 PM UTC
If you expect DataWindow objects to be included into the EXE, you need to list them in a .PBR file and assign that .PBR file to the EXE in the Project Painter.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 21:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Karl;

FWIW: I suspect that your App may not be checking the status of every DB return code after each DML command & logging any non-Zero status. Also, if DW objects are being used, there maybe no DBError event code to trap & log DB issues. Without this  type of code, your apps DB exchanges could be failing & you would never know. 

I would recheck your App's PowerScript coding around these areas. 

Regards... Chris

Comment
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

If there is no error message, how do you know that update is failing?

Perhaps you can turn on database trace to see what sql commands are being sent.

Comment
  1. Karl Wooley
  2. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 13:31 PM UTC
Hi Roland, I know the update fails by using the DATABASE painter to query the table(s) I'm trying to update and seeing no results. I added a TRACE ODBC command and can see when the .EXE is running the Sql Update is not being received by SS 2016. Performing a database trace produces no results (other than that I am connected to the DB). Which is what we'd expect if the SQL statement never made it to the DB. When running from the IDE and using a TRACE ODBC we can see SQL Update statements being passed to the DB just fine.
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 13:36 PM UTC
Maybe it is connected to a different database than you think it is.
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:46 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

A PowerBuilder application and the IDE do not connect to the database, they connect to the database interface on the PC it is running on.

The IDE and your app connect to ODBC locally and then ODBC connects to the server database. The bitness of the server has no bearing on the bitness of the ODBC driver.

The bitness of the ODBC driver must match the bitness of the application. The IDE is a 32bit application.

If your application is 32bit, it must use a 32bit ODBC profile and a 64bit application must use a 64bit ODBC profile.

If there was a bitness mismatch, the connect would have failed.

Comment
Karl Wooley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Cedric,

Yes, I'm using 32-bit ODBC driver.  I'm curious why the IDE works fine but the .EXE doesn't.  They both use the same ODBC driver, yes?  Thanks for your assistance, btw!

Comment
Cedric Pernet Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 13 August 2019 21:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Hello Karl,

Have you tried to use the 32 bits ODBC Driver?

The problem might be that your IDE is on 32 bits and the driver you're using is on 64 bits.

Let me know if this works for you.

-Cedric

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.