1. Christopher Moran
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 14 June 2018 10:49 AM UTC

This may be a dumb question but wanted to ask.  We are going to start moving towards PB 2017R2 but currently still use PB 12.6 on our machines here.  Can 2017R2 be installed on the same machine that has a 12.6 installation or do we have to create some standalong VM image to use it?  I still need 12.6 to support our current environment but need to start looking at 2017R2.

thanks.

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 14 June 2018 14:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Chris;

As Marco and Matt point out - you can install PB2017Rx alongside PB 12.6 with no issues.

However, there is one "gotcha" and that is in the area of .NET Web Services. PB utilizes a few DLL's in its "Shared" folder for this venture that are not release number named (for example: LIBxxxxxx and SSxxxxxxx DLL's). The one that will kill your Web Service execution is ssleay32.dll. Mixing this DLL from PB 12.6 at run time with a PB2017 WS will fault the execution. Also, using the same DLL from PB2017 with a 12.6 WS execution will fault its execution.

So the only area to be aware of when both IDE's are installed on the same machine is the Web Service feature. I handle this by changing the System Path of the O/S when working on PB 12.6 projects vs PB2017 ones by placing the related SHARE folder higher in the system path that matches the PB version I am using when deploying & testing web service components. I have been doing this trick since PB 11.0 => 2017 and it works 100% for me.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Marco Meoni
  2. Friday, 15 June 2018 08:48 AM UTC
Thank you Chris!

Top-notch advise. 

.m

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 15 June 2018 16:54 PM UTC
Thanks! 

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Matthew Balent Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 14 June 2018 11:46 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I currently run with this exact set up.

Comment
Marco Meoni Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 14 June 2018 11:04 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hello Christopher.

You can keep both, they are installed in different paths.

Best,

.m

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.