1. Josh Turner
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 31 January 2018 19:04 PM UTC

If you use rich text in your applications and are on 12.X and are thinking about upgrading to 2017, I would seriously reconsider. The regression bugs introduced with the built-in rich text control are bad enough to render the control useless for us. If you store rich text in the database and use a datawindow with the rich text edit style column to retrieve the data, beware. Setting the column to auto-size height will create an unacceptable amount of variable white space beneath the text upon retrieval. What's really shocking is that it took very little time and effort to produce the problem and I'm not sure how it wasn't caught. The suggested work-around from Appeon was to spend several thousand dollars to buy the old TX Text Control and integrate it into our application. We did. Unfortunately, we're still unable to get our datawindows to display as they did in 12.6 and prior using the old control. While the performance issues were resolved with the old control, the variable white space below the text was still and issue (though not as severe). We are extremely disappointed in these bugs and with no work-around available we will be forced to go back to a previous version of PowerBuilder, with no return on our investment in PowerBuilder 2017 or the TX Text Control we were told to buy. We cannot wait another 6 months for a fix.

And, yes, I've already downloaded and installed R2 without any change in behavior. Frankly I'm surprised to see the performance issues for the built-in rich text editor were not addressed in R2 since that has been a known issue for some time. Also note that the R2 Release notes known issues does not include the issue above. Let it be known.

Josh Turner Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 14 February 2019 13:54 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Rich text issues are resolved with the latest R3 Build 1880 which uses the old TX text control.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 14 February 2019 19:33 PM UTC
Thank you for letting us know and marketing this as resolved!
  1. Helpful
  1. Josh Turner
  2. Thursday, 14 February 2019 19:37 PM UTC
Thanks for addressing the problem!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Derek Hammonds Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 20 August 2018 19:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

RICH TEXT does not work.  It does not render / print properly.  It does not work properly.

It does NOT WORK IN R2.

It does NOT WORK in R3.

More than a year has gone by and we have spent tens of thousands on powerbuilder subscriptions/licenses and appeon has failed to deliver a single usable upgrade to the product.  We had a more reliable product when SAP managed powerbuilder.  Sure, they were literally doing NOTHING to the product.  But at least they didn't BREAK mission critical features while pretending to 'upgrade' them.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 20 August 2018 21:11 PM UTC
We are just a few months away from the return of the old third-party RTE control. Most customers have not had such horrible experience as you with the new third-party RTE control. If they did, surely we would have resolved sooner.
  1. Helpful
  1. Dennis Mitchell
  2. Tuesday, 21 August 2018 11:26 AM UTC
Armeen, we have been waiting over six months for a fix on this issue and still nothing. This feature is very important to our customers and we need a fix for this now.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 August 2018 15:00 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Josh;

The return of the TX control was and IS scheduled for PB2018.

FYI:  https://www.appeon.com/developers/roadmap  (RichText Backwards Compatibility)

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Josh Turner
  2. Thursday, 2 August 2018 15:05 PM UTC
Yay! Thanks Chris. Hopefully our customers can hold out until then.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 21 August 2018 19:35 PM UTC
Well Josh, you'll be happy to know, I asked also "why not release it with R3" when the come-back of the old rtf was announced, a few weeks before the release and the answer was that "the old control is in testing phase" .....

( the Irony !!! )
  1. Helpful
Josh Turner Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 August 2018 14:02 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

I guess R3 was just released a couple days ago and still no movement or even ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of this bug with the rich text datawindow edit control. Using the old TX Text Control is STILL documented as an accepted solution or workaround (it isn't). This bug was reported in January 2018 and is a critical error for our applications. Our customers are unhappy and so are we. While I'm a huge supporter of PowerBuilder and its community, my faith in Appeon's ability to keep PowerBuilder alive and well is dwindling. The bug reporting system is apparently a joke. Not only do you have to spend a large amount of time and energy writing specific code samples to PROVE a bug exists, but when you finally do it's in a perpetual state of "Scheduling" without actually ever being scheduled or even publicly documented as a known bug. Sorry to be such a downer.

Comment
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 27 April 2018 14:10 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

We have a licensed PB 12.6 in which the old control is working.

Can't we somehow use that control (already paid for) in pb2017?

I don't really know why Govindo Lopez says on "https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/search/view?id=894" that the priority has been lowered to P3.

Quote: 
"We have lowered the priority of your issue to the default P3 to be consistent with the priority level definitions in our support policy posted to our Website: https://www.appeon.com/sites/default/files/pictures/Downloads/Appeon_2017_Standard_Support_Plan_Description.pdf"

So I've read the pdf he refers to and it says: 

"(c)  Priority Three (“P3”):  The Supported Programs are useable, but its functionality is seriously 
affected such that development/production can continue for a reasonable amount of time before the 
problem becomes critical.  A workaround exists that is commercially reasonable to implement. "

I don't think the workaround of buying the old control is a working solution, as some people have clearly stated that it's not working as before and neither is it "commercially reasonable".

We've come to the point of having only 65 days left of our yearly subscription and we've not been able to do anything else then test PB2017, we've not been able to bring our production to any production environment, since we depend on the RTE control. Management at the company I work for is disappointed with this.

In other words, I think this should be a P1 by now.

Kind regards,

MiguelL

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 27 April 2018 14:11 PM UTC
Sorry: Govindo = Govinda

1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 27 April 2018 14:12 PM UTC

1. Helpful
Jeff Godsey Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 13 April 2018 22:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Has there been an update to the Rich Text issues in PB 17 R2?  We are running into similar issues.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 1 February 2018 14:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

Hi Josh;

I have raised your concerns up to senior management.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Josh Turner
  2. Thursday, 1 February 2018 15:51 PM UTC

Ravi, this was Mark Lee's (Appeon) response to me about the supported version of the TX Text control in PB2017:

"Actually the paid version of X14 SP1 (build 2401) is supported though the trial version of this X14 SP1 (build 2401) is not (probably due to the difference in the licensing and the permissions between these two versions). And because of this trial version of X14 SP1 is not supported, we listed X14 SP1 as unsupported in that Known Issues."

Although even the paid version of X14 SP1 (build 2401) and build 2400 don't seem to fix the issues either.

1. Helpful
  1. Josh Turner
  2. Thursday, 1 February 2018 15:56 PM UTC
Thanks Chris. I really appreciate what Appeon is doing with PowerBuilder and I hope things smooth out in time. However, I've learned my lesson about being on the "bleeding edge" of technology.

1. Helpful
  1. Derek Hammonds
  2. Wednesday, 14 February 2018 20:15 PM UTC
This is a showstopper bug for us.  The new rich text edit control needs to have a switch or a setting where it behaves exactly like the old one.  If that is not possible just make the new control function in a way that is remotely useful/intuitive.  

1. Helpful
Ravi Nath Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 31 January 2018 22:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 8

Hi Josh,

I am having the same issue. Was told the fix would be in R2, downloaded R2 today but no it works the same way.... no fixes. I have patiently waited for a month on this. This is crazy, I don't know Appeon team management is thinking. What is the use of all the enhancements when you cant make simple thing such as RTF to work!!

Ravi

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.