1. Mark Smithwick
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 2 August 2018 14:46 PM UTC

Greetings,

I just recently upgraded PB to 2017 R3 from PB 2017. No issues noted in upgrade and full rebuild was done with no errors. 

I am now seeing my IDE crash when I run my application. This happens when opening a window using 'OpenSheetWithParm' from a menu. 

When debugging I the IDE does not crash.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. I can provide more details as needed.

Thanks,

Mark

Devang Modi Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 26 August 2019 19:55 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Kuo,

we are facing similar issue with OpenUserObject function. System is crashing while GarbageCollect or CloseuserObject (). Will this new DLL or new Release 1888 will solve this issue ? 

Thanks & Regards,

Devang Modi.

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Monday, 26 August 2019 20:37 PM UTC
The only way to find out is to try it.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 1 February 2019 01:39 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi All,

Good news that Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 R3 MR (build 1880) has been officially released.

The issue you reported has been fixed in this latest release. Please download and install it to verify your reported issue and let us know if any problems.

You may download and install this latest release from our Downloads portal at https://www.appeon.com/user/center/index?menu=download (requires login) or you may manually go to the Downloads portal from Login (to the Appeon Website) > User Center (under your login user icon) > Downloads.

We welcome all feedback from you.

Regards,
Ken

Comment
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 15 August 2018 07:30 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Mark,

Please replace the pbvm170.dll in shared/powerbuilder/ with this attached one (you may back it up before replacing), and try again and see if it is also fixed on your side.

Regards,

Ken

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Ken Guo @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 16 August 2018 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

This DLL was just created by Appeon for fixing the problem. We are glad that it did fix the problem on your side as well and we will include this fix to the next MR.

Regards,

Ken

1. Helpful
  1. Mark Smithwick
  2. Thursday, 16 August 2018 12:48 PM UTC
Hello again Ken,

Thank you again for the response.

As I noted, the .dll you provided did fix the problem however, I will not be able to use this .dll in a release until I can verify I obtained this .dll from an official Appeon source. Is there a link to official Appeon updates and bug fixes I can use?

Your help is much appreciated.

Mark
  1. Helpful
  1. Ken Guo @Appeon
  2. Friday, 17 August 2018 00:44 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

Please download it from this link:

http://file.appeon.com/download/support/pbvm170_1858.zip

Regards,

Ken

1. Helpful
Mark Smithwick Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 August 2018 16:10 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Thank you for the reply Chris.

This is a PFC application and I will load the latest R3 PFC build. I was concerned this may be an issue.

However, in the meanwhile I noticed that the 'OpenSheetWithParm()' call was using a null variable as the parameter argument.

For example: OpenSheetWithParm(lw_window, ls_null, ls_window, w_nalc_frame, 0 ,Layered!)

To me this defeats the purpose of even using OpenSheetWithParm. At any rate, I just replaced with 'OpenSheet' and all is good.

Mark

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 2 August 2018 16:21 PM UTC
Hi Mark;

Glad that you found your issue.

Hmm - a NULL value ... wow, interesting!

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Friday, 3 August 2018 11:31 AM UTC
Also any time you upgrade, ALWAYS do a full rebuild on all apps. Mine crashed first run on R3, but after a full rebuild, everything was fine.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 August 2018 15:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Mark;

In all my past experience with PB versions and various Apps, this usually ties back to a few things  - especially when the App runs OK in the debugger. The Debugger can change the event firing order, delay when events are fired and/or slow the event function processing down (allowing other things to complete).

Here are a few suggestions:

1) if its a PFC App, make sure that you download and apply the latest PFC build that matches PB2017R3

2) Look for PowerScript in the Open event that uses MS-Windows SDK calls.

3) Look for code in the Activate, Deactivate, System Mapped, or Other events that try to do something on Window instantiation.

4) Look for code in Window "Controls" like Constructor, Get/LoseFocus, System Mapped, or Other events that try to do something with other objects. If these other Controls (or the object itself) are not properly instantiated, you can get a failure message or even an App crash depending.

5) Watch out for DW Control scripts on RowFocusChanged, ItemFocusedChanged, or special System Mapped "DW" events that fire at instantiation time.

5) Try commenting out the above script(s) until the App crash stops

6) Move the incriminating code on the suspected event(s) to an later event. For example: PostConstructor or PostOpen

Note: Remember that event firing order changes every now and then across a PB release due to new features being added to various object classes. This has definitely occurred in the PB 8, 10, 11.5 and 12.0 PB versions. So it is a quite common change. As PB developers, we need to keep this in mind when coding current Apps.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.