1. John Hnat
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 20 March 2018 15:00 PM UTC

Has anybody else noticed slowness when running applications from the PB 2017 R2 IDE?

I migrated a copy of our application from 12.5 (our current production version) to 2017 R2, and found it to be painfully slow (e.g., our application's splash screen, which normally displays within a second after launching, is taking >= 2 minutes to display).

I then created a very simple app that counts from 1 to 1,000, and optionally displays the value of the variable on the screen with each iteration.  From the IDE, it runs very slowly (takes over a minute to count from 1 to 1,000 - yikes!).  But if I compile the code into an executable and run it, it completes almost instantaneously.  So it is an IDE-only issue.

Other facts worth noting:

- I am running Windows 8.1, 16 GB RAM.

- Other programmers here have not reported any slowness in either the IDE or EXE; it is an issue with my machine only.

- I have PB 12.5 (build 4953), 12.6 (build 3506), and 2017 R2 (build 1756) installed on my machine.

Any/all thoughts welcome.

Thanks!

John Hnat Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 24 April 2018 15:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Answering this one in case anybody ever finds their way to this thread:

I eventually figured out the problem - I was running in Debug mode.  I had the "Enable PBDebug Tracing" checkbox, on the System Options window, checked.  Whoops.  So my applications were all getting slowed down by tens of thousands of file operations, one per line of code.  Once I unchecked the box (not sure how I ever checked it in the first place, but that's neither here nor there), all was well.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
John Hnat Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 26 March 2018 17:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Update:

It definitely seems to be an issue with Windows Defender.  When I run any code out of the PB 2017 R2 IDE, the Antimalware Service Executable process leaps to the top of the CPU usage and stays there as long as code is processing.

That said:

1. The CPU usage tops out around 30%.  It doesn't jump to 100% or anything close to it.

2.  I certainly shouldn't be the only one here with anti-malware software running, and yet I am the only one here (out of a dev group of 15 programmers) who is experiencing the issue.

I'll keep collecting information here when I get the chance, but wanted to provide an update.

(P.S.:  To the suggestion that I put the PB 2017 R2 folders towards the front of my system path:  I did try that, and saw no change in performance, as you suspected.  But thanks for the suggestion.)

Comment
  1. Govinda Lopez @Appeon
  2. Monday, 26 March 2018 18:09 PM UTC
Hi John,

I agree, sometimes the Antivirus software can slow the execution of certain applications. My recommendation is to put your PowerBuilder IDE in the white list of your Antivirus. See if that does the trick.

Regards,

1. Helpful
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 21 March 2018 23:05 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Software runs slowly for several reasons, but assuming you installed PB correctly the most likely culprit is that something else is eating up your CPU time.

Open up the Task Manager, then run the IDE and see what's chewing up your CPU time.

Olan

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 22 March 2018 15:25 PM UTC
Is your PATH environment variables having the correct powerbuilder entries?

And if so ... is there maybe any invalid / non-existing path before the powerbuilder ones?

If that's the case, an invalid path will break off the other, posterior directories to be included.

To make sure, just move all of the powerbuilder directories in front of the other ones in the PATH.

Probably not the case but you never know.

1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 20 March 2018 16:06 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi John;

Can you tell us ...

• Is your IDE running on a VM?
  • Are your App's PBL's  located on a Server?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 20 March 2018 16:27 PM UTC
Interesting (but disheartening I am sure) ... It sounds totally localized to your PC then!

I wonder if its something unique with your "Windows Policies" or Anti-Virus settings on your PC?

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 20 March 2018 16:29 PM UTC
PS:   I have all the PB versions loaded on my PC's (PB 11.5 => 2017R2 ) with no issues like you are having. I am also running W10 Fall Creator Edition and 64bit O/S on my PC's.

1. Helpful
  1. John Hnat
  2. Tuesday, 20 March 2018 16:30 PM UTC
I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.  That being said - all of our computers here should have the same policies, antivirus software, etc.  So I am not sure why this issue would be plaguing me and not my co-workers.

1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 20 March 2018 15:39 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Not aware of such issue from any other customers.  Have you tested on another machine to see if it is machine/environment-specific issue?  If the problem persists on other machines, the best way we could help you is if you provide your application code so we can try to reproduce it in our labs.  You can open support ticket here: https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/

Comment
  1. John Hnat
  2. Tuesday, 20 March 2018 16:18 PM UTC
Hi Armeen - it definitely seems to be a machine-specific issue.  Other programmers here have not had any problems.  I can provide my sample code if you like, but I suspect that your engineers won't find anything, because my machine is the only one I know of that has had the problem.  (Lucky me ...)

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 21 March 2018 21:01 PM UTC
Yes, you are right.  If it is a machine-specific issue no point to provide a test case/source code.  How about wiping out Windows and restoring?  I know it's brute force but rarely have I found this approach not to resolve issues.

1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.