1. Ricardo Colarina
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 15 January 2018 05:24 AM UTC

Hi All,

I have a tabular datawindow with one of the columns having an edit style of edit, which I've changed to richtext and set the DW to RichTextToolBarActivation = RichTextToolBarActivationNever!.  This DW won't ever have much rows in it.  To convert the values in the column from plain to rich text, I created a hidden RichTextEdit control and I have some codes post retrieve where it does a dw.GetItemString, then an rte.SelectTextAll, then an rte.ReplaceText, then an rte.CopyRTF, then finally a dw.SetItem in a loop.  My PB application's standard font for column values is Tahoma size 8.  The first row is properly populated, but the succeeding rows get a font of Arial size 10.  I tried SetRichTextFaceName and SetRichTextSize but the problem doesn't get resolved.  Please note that the hidden RichTextEdit control and the DW column has the correct font settings.  Is there a way of changing the RTE default font face and size for the DW richtext column?  Is there even a better way of accomplishing the conversion from plain to rich text (apart from SQL update adding the rich text formatting).

Also, I've observed that the window is taking a lot longer than before to get ready with the new RichTextEdit (even prior to adding the looping for text conversion), as mentioned in some of the other questions in the community.  Hopefully the coming MR will address the issue.


Best Regards,


Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 15 January 2018 15:30 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Ricardo;

   There have been some bugs opened against the RTE control / DW in the fall time frame. Not only about fonts, but also performance as well (especially on Windows Server O/S editions. Appeon is releasing a new version of PowerBuilder at the end of January, 2018 ... release PB2017R2. The R2 release will have fixes to the RTE control - which is actually the 3rd party TE Control under the covers. At this point in time though, I do not have a detailed list of fixes to share with you.

  I would like to suggest however, that you re-test your App using PB2017R2 as soon as its released to see if these issues are resolved.

Regards ... Chris

  1. Ricardo Colarina
  2. Monday, 15 January 2018 20:36 PM UTC
Thanks Chris.  I've converted the column's edit style from edit to richtext because I needed to embed hyperlinks with normal text,  Really looking forward to the new release.

  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this question but you are not allowed to view the replies from this question.