1. Faisal Hayat
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 19 February 2021 16:33 PM UTC

Hi PB Gurus,

Last year we planned to use Native PDF and tested it with PB 2017. In order to use Native PDF we added below code in PB.ini and it worked fine for us. It covered 99% of different layouts and export to pdf was successful. We were a happy team to achieve the Native PDF functionality without writing a single line of code. Later on we decided to move some other items, update infrastructure before moving to Native PDF.

[Data Window]
NativePDF_IncludeCustomFont=1
NativePDF_Valid=1

Now we decided to move Native PDF but we are running into an issue due to PB Version  of 2019. We were able to generate PDF by adding above 3 lines into pb.ini using PB 2017 but now in PB 2019 it is not working.

Are we missing something or Appeon has applied some restriction to use above method? 

We are using PB 2019 R2 Build 2353.

Accepted Answer
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 19 February 2021 16:55 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Mark Lee @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 20 February 2021 00:51 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Faisal,

John is right. The two INI settings NativePDF_IncludeCustomFont and NativePDF_Valid will no longer take effect in PB 2019  R2.  if you want to save them to PDF using PDFlib, you can select the "Always use NativePDF! method for PDF export" in the Application properties dialog box.

https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r2/pbug/ch20s03.html#Saving_as_PDF_using_PDFlib

Regards,

Comment
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 19 February 2021 20:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I read the links provided by John, and I'm wondering is there is any advantage to using one method over another for saving DWs to PDF.

Our application is report heavy, and an option that noticably improves the performance of the SAVE AS would be worth changing; we are currently using Ghostscript.

Thank You.

Comment
  1. Mark Lee @Appeon
  2. Saturday, 20 February 2021 00:56 AM UTC
Hi Olan,

In PowerBuilder 2017, an alternative method is provided to directly print data to PDF without needing to install any third-party tool or driver or make any configuration. This method relies on a light-weight software called PDFlib which is automatically installed with PowerBuilder and distributed with the PowerBuilder application, at no additional cost by developer. And PDFlib is automatically packaged into the PowerBuilder application executable without requiring the developer to make any configuration or selection during the building process.

Regards,
  1. Helpful
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Saturday, 20 February 2021 22:10 PM UTC
Thank you, Mark. I

I'll test the PDFlib printer to see if there is a performance difference and let everyone know.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.