1. Brage Mogstad
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 9 October 2019 12:53 PM UTC

We deploy our app by building exe+pbd+dll's.
Since I migrated from PB 2017- PB 2019 I get an error "bad runtime function" when invoking webservice with CreateInstance in PB2019 runtime clients deployed to win10pro x64 pcs.
I'm a 20 years+ PB developer and done lots of these upgrades, and normally this is an easy fix due to a change in exe+pbd+dll environment, and typically it's a missing .pbd or .dll to be deployed to the client setup. This time around I can't find any dll to fix this, I've tried them all and I'm out of options. 
Does anyone have any idea of what is wrong, and perhaps if there's a dll missing, what dll should I add to avoid the GPF?
This error does not occur on my win10pro x64 pc with PB2019 installed - Im suspecting a missing dll.

Appeon Powerbuilder Standard Edition
Version 2019 build 2082

Win10pro 1903

Any help appriciated smile


Brage Mogstad Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 October 2019 13:09 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Okay, turns out, you were on to something. As you implied there was a problem with the SOAP objects. I had indeed some obsolete "homemade" soap objects for connection, exception and cookie in a PBL.
I followed your good advice, and ditched these objects, and added the pbwsclient190.pbd instead to the librarypath of the project. Then, all I had to do was to make a brand new web service proxy, overwrite the old, and deploy the new webservice .dll. All that was left was to add the pbx and pbd file and it worked!

Thanks for the good advice, it was a good pointer to the solution!


  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 10 October 2019 18:08 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 9 October 2019 14:09 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Are you using the correct version of the web service PBD & PBX?

Depending on how exactly you are doing it:

pbsoapclient190.pbd & pbsoapclient190.pbx

pbwsclient190.pbd & pbwsclient190.pbx


  1. Brage Mogstad
  2. Thursday, 10 October 2019 13:13 PM UTC
Yes, I already had added the pb*190*dll's and pbd's to the project, and some pbx files missing. I'm searching the app for references to these PBD's now, who knows what more will show up.
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 10 October 2019 14:20 PM UTC
Optionally you can stop using the PBD file by doing a 'Import PB Extension' and selecting the PBX file. It will create objects in the selected PBL that are currently in the PBD.
  1. Helpful
  1. Brage Mogstad
  2. Friday, 11 October 2019 07:21 AM UTC
I managed to find these objects from the PBD imported into several PBL's throughout the app. I deleted them all and included the PBD instead. What I'm really saying is that in this regard there's actually is an extra upside to this, coz the PBD is fixed, and so hopefully we don't get extra copies. But it's a great feature to be able to create them as nvos from a PBX file, especially for those wanting to hack or deploy apps whithout PBDs. Nice to know, thanks!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :
  • 1

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.