1. Pieter Coene
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 9 July 2019 12:52 PM UTC

Hi,

we are currently using the PB2017 R2 (build 1769) for all our programs, working fine. I'm testing to switch to PB 2019 (build 2082). Our program (i've only tested one) runs fine in the PB 2019 IDE. So far so good...

I made our own PBRuntime (like i always do), just including the dll's we need, and of course, following the instructions that i found in the documentation of PB.

Weirdly enough, when i create an executable and run it on a different PC (with the new PBRuntime), the program starts (i'm able to login through a DB connection), but crashes after a few seconds (in fact, when clicking on the menu). No 'error chrashing' report, the program just is gone...

I have checked the manuals, included all the mandatory dll's (i think), i even ran the 'dependency walker' to see which dll's are used to spot any difference. I don't see a difference with the developing machine.

I'm not sure how to debug this even further, it could be a 'dll'-mismatch but i'm not seeing it. Also, its hard to debug on what type of code it crashes because on the developing machine, it just runs fine.

I looked up the 'crash' in the windows event viewer, just a generic PBVM190.dll error saying that it crashed.

Does anyone have an idea on how to debug this? I've even tested with including almost every dll from the 'PB shared' folder, still crashes so i don't think it due to a lack of dll's (but when everything fails, i'm not sure of anything)

PS: i didn't try the runtime packager (yet) because we don't deploy our programs like that, we just create an executable, and deploy it with all the needed dll's in the same folder...

Greetz
Pieter

Attachments (1)
Accepted Answer
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 July 2019 13:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

sounds almost like antivirus 

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Monday, 20 April 2020 14:48 PM UTC
You would need to ask the anti virus developer that question
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 20 April 2020 16:07 PM UTC
We do seem to have many problems with antivirusses lately: I've had Kaspersky Free 'invalidate' (in other words CHANGE) the executable without any warning when building an executable. When you would double click on the exe file, the app would just silently do NOTHING.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 20 April 2020 20:13 PM UTC
So 2017 works but 2019 crashes depending on anti virus...
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Ian Ho Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 21 April 2020 08:26 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

For your reference.
I experienced some application errors after the migration. If you haven't uninstalled / removed PB2017 R2 (also clear all the env variables), the runtime packager of PB2019 R2 will pack 2017 DLL in the packager. 

After I performed some clean up of PB2017R2, application termination problems are solved. 

Comment
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 July 2019 17:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

This is almost certainly a DLL issue - either you are missing a DLL or one of your deployed DLLs is invalid and needs to be updated.

Create an installer with the Packager and see what happens.

Olan

Comment
René Ullrich Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 July 2019 13:06 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

You may try to run the exe with commandline parameter /pbdebug. So you get a log file where you can see what statement was the last before the crash. Maybe it helps to find the reason.

Comment
  1. Pieter Coene
  2. Wednesday, 10 July 2019 06:50 AM UTC
Hi René,

thx for the tip, didn't knew this commandline parameter. I tried it, the exe does not crash when in 'debug'-mode.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.