1. Ins Build
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 26 January 2023 09:00 AM UTC

For extemely stupid reasons I need to take an application that was migrated to PowerBuilder 2019 R3 some time ago and migrate it back to PowerBuilder 2017.

Just wondering if anyone has any hints on how that may be done. I suppose I could just export everything from each version I have the source for, do a diff and just make the changes in PB 2017. Or could I just conenct to source control for the 2019 R3 version and get it into the PowerBuilder 2017 version?

Any thoughts are welcome. 

Thanks.

Andreas Mykonios Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 26 January 2023 12:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi.

Are you using a framework? Are you using inheritance? If yes, since you upgraded to PB 2019 R3 have made changes to parent objects?

Also, are you using anything that was introduced to PB2019 and wasn't there in previous versions (example: webbrowser control and ribbon bar). Or did you used any of the enhancements made to PB2019.X (a lot of controls have been enhanced)?

Anyway. The most complex part is usually datawindows. As PB 2019 has practically same syntax with PB 2017 for datawindows, the main issue you may encounter is a wrong release number.

Depending on how huge is your project, you may be able to import everything to your 2017 pbls using the ws_object folder where resides all exported objects of your project. Remember to always work in copies of your projects.

Andreas.

Comment
  1. Aron Cox
  2. Friday, 27 January 2023 12:54 PM UTC
Thanks Andreas. As far as I know we havn't added any new controls, and we haven't cnaged any datawindows. Luckily this application does not connect to a database. Nor, I hope, have we used any new PB 2019 features. It's basically an installer so it just copies files, and creates and runs .bat files to run regsvr and regasm. We don;t have a ws_objects folder becuase we're not using git (yet), at least I think that's why :)
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Friday, 27 January 2023 13:24 PM UTC
Any DataWindow objects changed in PB 2019 will have 'Release 19' at the top of the source code. You'll have to change it to 'Release 17' manually.
  1. Helpful 2
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.