1. Philippe PILAT
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 15 March 2021 14:06 PM UTC

Hi group,

We are maintaining an in house developed software.

We use Powerbuilder 2019 build 2170.

I wanted to try the migration to PB 2019 R3, so I installed PB2019 R3 in a VM, I copied the sources to the VM, migrated and was ready to test.

I quit PB 2019 R3 in the VM, go back to my laptop and launch PB 2019.

When I return to my VM and launch PB 2019 R3 I get an error saying “this account is already logged in to PowerBuilder. Please use another account”.

Was this not supposed to be allowed with PB 2019 R3 ?

Best regards,

Philippe.

Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 15 March 2021 22:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Philippe -

Don't feel alone in your pain. I am required to have two VMs due to security considerations: one VM is for working with PRODUCTION databases and one VM is for working with the development databases. I am required to logout of VM-A in order to long in on VM-B.

Still, being able to run multiple instances of PB on the same VM >>> IS <<< a great improvement!  :)

Later -

Olan

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 15 March 2021 14:25 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

The license is not shared between machines, virtual or otherwise, at the same time.  You can use it in one or the other, but you have to have the license log out. 

You can set it to auto log out, but you MUST:

- exit pb yourself, don't shut down the VM while PB is running (PB shuts down without logging you out, i think it is shutting down prior to PB logging out the license)

- wait a few seconds to allow PB to contact the license server.  PB seems to shut down visually, but it still is talking to the license server.

Comment
  1. Philippe PILAT
  2. Monday, 15 March 2021 14:38 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

thanks fot your answer.

so it's still not possible to have the 2 versions running at the same time with the same license ?

Philippe.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 15 March 2021 14:44 PM UTC
Hi Philippe, This change ONLY applies to PB 2019 R3 and newer versions. So for example, you can login to PowerBuilder 2019 R3 and PowerBuilder 2021 at same time. Also, the multiple versions have to be installed on the SAME machine. https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/whats_new/License_enhancements.html
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Monday, 15 March 2021 15:47 PM UTC
Hi Philippe,

No it is not possible in your setup since you are using the license on two different machines (a VM is a different machine).

There is no way for the license to know you are the same person using it at the same time so they came up with the 1 license per machine active at the same time. which, imo, is the best way of doing it to allow us to do what we need to do.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.