1. Olan Knight
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 3 February 2021 23:23 PM UTC

PBv12.1 and PBv2019R2
Oracle 12C
Windows 10, 64 bit, SP-1

We have this giant app that we migrated from PBv12.1 to PBv2019R2. Some users run from another continent through Citrix to the host VMs to run the app. Often, the users will each have multiple sessions running in order to theoretically get the required processing of multipe files done more quickly.

Yesterday, we ran the new 2019R2 version in a production run for the first time. All users noted that processing was really, REALLY slow. Files that should have taken 2 minutes to process were taking 30 minutes.

I tested by having everyone close all their sessions so that I was the only one running the app, and I'm in CONUS.... and the 2019 version of the app was slower than the v12 version, but MUCH faster than when all the users were in multiple sessions. Obviously.

Next I tested the two compilers by running the v12 app and the v2019R2 app against the same data in the same databases from the same VM. The v12 app was at least 6x faster. We know this because the start and stop times are logged.

1. Has anyone else noticed this performance difference?

2. Some research turned this info up:
PBVM is consantly looking for a DLL calld "pbdynamictab190".  There is no reason for this DLL and it is not distributed with 2019R2.    At runtime, the PBVM is constantly issuing a load instruction.  The PVBM doesn't care if the load fails though and then continues, but this load searching is continuous....

and from Chris:
While this behaviour is not too bad when the App is deployed to a local machine, this constant DLL searching could be a "killer" when PB Apps are run via Citrix, RDP or from a network Share drive. This could constantly invoke significant network overhead. Food for thought.

3. I think that I have seen that the issue noted above in item #2 was resolved with 2019R3.
   Does anyone know if that is the case?

4. Are there any other issues that people have found relating to the performance of compiled EXEs in 2019?

Thank You,
Olan

Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 February 2021 05:10 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Olan,

For the issue ‘PBVM is constantly looking for a DLL called "pbdynamictab190’, it has been fixed in PB 2019 R3.
Please use PB 2019 R3 to try and see if there is a performance issue first.

If the issue exists, I suggest you:
1. New a pb.ini file with the below content in the folder where the EXE resides and then try and see if it works.
[Data Window]
ACCESSIBILITY=0
You can refer to this link for details:
https://www.appeon.com/developers/get-help/knowledgebase/powerbuilder-datawindow-hangs-temporarily-after-retrieve.html

2. Can you reproduce this issue in all DEV machines? I suggest you use another machine to try again.
3. Appeon PB 2017 is developed based on SAP PB 12.6. In order to locate this issue exists since which version, if it is OK for you, please try to upgrade PB 12 to PB 12.6 and see if the issue also persists in PB 12.6.
4. If you can always reproduce this issue, I suggest you submit a ticket in the Appeon Support ticketing system (https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/newbug) along with a test case.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ken

Comment
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Thursday, 4 February 2021 14:55 PM UTC
Thank you, Ken.

I have added a new PB.INI file into the folder with the EXE that contains nothing but:

[Datawindw]

ACCESSIBILITY=0

We'll see how it goes! Thanks again for the suggestion.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 February 2021 04:03 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Someone also noticed a slower performance when "opening windows", being on Win10. I'm not sure if that's improved or if it's just a windows problem.

See: https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/search/view?id=3151

Comment
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 February 2021 03:51 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Olan,

About point 2: I wonder what would happen if you would create a "dummy" text file and rename it to "pbdynamictab190.dll".
(feed the hungry!)
Maybe it'll blow up, but at least it won't be constantly looking "everywhere" for that file if you add it to the runtime folder.
It all depends what R2 does with it, once it finds it.

For the rest, we already noticed a decrease in performance when migrating from 12.5 to 12.6, so it's not all Appeon's "fault".

regards

Comment
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Thursday, 4 February 2021 14:56 PM UTC
Thank you, Miguel! I'll give that a try.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 February 2021 00:31 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Olan;

This issue was reported in Ticket # 4823 for PB2019 R2 build 2328. Engineering has reported that this issue is now fixed in PB 2019 R3.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Thursday, 4 February 2021 14:59 PM UTC
Thanks, Chris! I thought that I had read that somewhere....but I've slept since then. :)
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.