1. Malek Taha
  2. SnapDevelop
  3. Thursday, 28 September 2023 17:52 PM UTC

Hi

Please help.

I created a wrapper dll using snapdevelop ( see FolderProfile.pubxml )

I import the dll into a powerbuilder 2021 build 1509

I test the application and it worked as expected calling the dll methods and returning expected results on my development machine

I copied the PB exe and the dll files generated from the build to a network foldert.

Then i tested the exe on the network from my development machine and all work as expected

I asked the user to test the executable on the network from their local machine. It failed

The only way i can make it work on the uses machine was to install snapdevelop on their mache the uninstall it.

I believe the reason it worked after the install of snapdevelop is because it installed some prerequisits on the user machine.

Question 

Can i package my application with all the files needed and have a user execute without installing anything else on the user machine.

Any advise or instructions will be greately appreciated.

Thanks

Malek

Malek Taha Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 29 September 2023 00:08 AM UTC
  2. SnapDevelop
  3. # 1

Thanks Francisco appreciated.

I compile with the self-contained option and it did not work. 

I have not tried the portable option but the main question is i want to make an installed package that have all the objects the application needs.

How do i know what versions of .net core PB 2021 required etc..

I dont want to have the cusomer install all of .net framewors and core 

I am looking for a list of all the external components (.net)nis required for 2021

Please advise

Thanks 

Malek

Comment
  1. Francisco Martinez @Appeon
  2. Friday, 29 September 2023 14:09 PM UTC
You only need the runtime with version greater or equal to what you're targeting. Since your project targets .NET Core 3.1 you should at least install the .NET Core 3.1 runtime. However this version is out of support. So the next best thing (and better probably) is the .NET 6 runtime https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Francisco Martinez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 28 September 2023 18:55 PM UTC
  2. SnapDevelop
  3. # 2

Hi  Malek,

I believe the customer must have the .NET Runtime installed on their machine in order to be able to work with the .NET DLLs.

I noticed you're using Self-Contained deployment, and this should in general work without requiring the .NET Runtime; however, I'm not sure (and I would love to get the Developers' input on this) the binaries that PB uses to bridge PB and .NET are compiled with the Self-Contained option, and thus might require to have the .NET Runtime.
In the meantime, having your program require the .NET Runtime on your customer's machine might be the workaround.

Regards,
Francisco

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.