1. Dan Cooperstock
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Saturday, 26 December 2020 12:45 PM UTC

I can't find any way to find out what ActiveX object an OleCustomControl on a window or user object is actually connected to. I see nothing in the UI (the Ole Control Properties and Ole Control Help buttons never seem to do anything), or in View Source. I know that if you export the object it has a binary section, that presumably forms the link, but I know of no way to read that binary stuff to figure out what the ActiveX object is.

I'm asking this because it seems that my OleCustomControls sometimes become unliked to their ActiveX and stop working, and unless I can identify what they are suppose to be linked to, it seems hard to troubleshoot.

Thanks.

Dan Cooperstock Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 27 December 2020 14:19 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

The thing I missed is that when an Active X control (OleCustomControl) is properly configured in PB, its name should show up in the OLE Control Name field in the General properties of the object in the painter.

However, what I have observed is that these controls (or at least, some I have used) seem to have the value in the OLE Control Name disappear after a while of using them and checking them in and out of source control. And sometimes (but not always!) that means that the connection of the control to the PB object is broken and it has to be re-inserted.

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 28 December 2020 13:58 PM UTC
Hi Dan ... That's what I was thinking as well by suggesting trying without SCC in the picture. Then if that worked, trying native SCC. I was thinking that WizSource might be transposing or dropping some binary data from the OLE source. Glad that you found your issue.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Dan Cooperstock
  2. Monday, 28 December 2020 14:04 PM UTC
Chris, I would hardly say that I have "found my issue". All I did today was re-do what I did 2 days ago, which worked on that day but had lost the OLE Control Name when I re-opened the object the next day. So I certainly have no reason to believe the problem is gone or I have identified what caused it. And I really don't know what causes the control to later actually stop working, which had apparently happened at some point in the last month or two, leading to why I recreated the control in the first place 2 days ago.

Again, to be clear, losing the OLE Control Name doesn't mean the control isn't working - it was still working yesterday when the name was lost. But at some point the previous incarnation of it had mysteriously stopped working.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 28 December 2020 16:02 PM UTC
Hi Dan .. sorry, you seemed to indicate that the WizSource update fixed the issue.

Then the next step I would suggest is to take a small test case app and recreate the same OLE object(s). then place the Test Case under PB's native SCC and try the check in/out from there. If the issue comes back its on the PB IDE side (or your Windows environment). If the issue does not come back, then its a possible SCC issue with WizSource. Just trying to help you narrow the problem area, HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 26 December 2020 14:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Dan;

  Yes, it's been that way for eons in PB. It's basically almost impossible to understand the binary section in the OLE's source code.

  What I did in my framework though was to add extended properties to the OLE ancestor objects that allows the developer to document the OLE server, ActiveX, etc embedded object & it's use. Then the maintenance programmers can read this information and know exactly what they are dealing with. Food for thought. HTH

Regards... Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :
  • 1


There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.