1. Vladislav Cale
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 28 April 2020 04:48 AM UTC

I would like to digitally sign a PDF file using PowerBuilder 2019.

Since I was explained PB 2019 is currently not supporting this, here is the question for community.

Is there is a

1. Windows DLL that can be used as a global External function from PowerScript

or

2. is there are some C# mixing approach concerning this issue ?

I.E i have solution for now using jSignPDF. So in PowerScript code there is a line

run(jSignPDF .... command line switches),

but this is external software, and I have to pray jSignPDF to sign the PDF file, without possibility for jSignPDF to return me any value if something went wrong. I would like to know if there is something like GetCertificate(...) , any method, anything more controlable.

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 28 April 2020 15:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

You just need to get a COM/ActiveX version of a PDF library that supports the PDF features you want. 

I'm not aware of any free option that is a COM/ActiveX, has the features you want, and works well.  Amyuni is the most popular option among Appeon customers: https://www.amyuni.com/en/developer-tools/pdf-creator-developer-pro/for-activex

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 28 April 2020 15:52 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Your question piqued my interest, enough to look into what Windows API functions, if any, are provided by Microsoft in this area. Digital Certificates reside in the realm of cryptography, due to their reliance on private/public cryptographic keys. So you can get an idea, here's a link to an overview of Digital Certificates in the online Microsoft Documentation for Windows:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/seccrypto/digital-certificates

A little topic browsing should reinforce what a potentially complex and involved task it would be to attempt to utilize low-level Windows API functions to create and assign Digital Certificates. I found several C++ code examples for relatively simple tasks. The topic appears to be formidable unless you are skilled in C++, the Crypto API and/or .NET libraries.

I agree with Armeen that a vendor-supplied COM/ActiveX solution is likely to be your best bet.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.