1. Luke B
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 6 July 2021 11:15 AM UTC

Hi,

I've got code in production  that uses Powerbuilder 2019 R2.

I recently downloaded and installed Powerbuilder 2019 R3 and during setup the only option was to upgrade my existing R2 installation.

However, I really need to be able to continue supporting the R2 production code whilst developing new stuff using R3 on the same machine.  Is there a way to have both 2019 R2 and R3 installed at the same time?

Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 6 July 2021 13:10 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Another thing you could try, is have a copy of the SHARED folder for both of the runtimes R2 and R3, like SHARED-R2 and SHARED-R3.

When you have to use one or the other, rename the one you want to use to SHARED.

(not sure if it will work completely well and I still think it's better to have one of them on a virtual machine, but it just might).

regards

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 6 July 2021 13:13 PM UTC
Instead of the SHARED folder you might have to use the ...\PowerBuilder 19.0\IDE folder. Make sure you don't have any runtime installed or rename that folder too.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 6 July 2021 13:07 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi,

I don't think you can install both.

The support for multiple runtimes was introduced with R3 and is not backwards compatible.

You'll have to install the R2 version on a different machine or maybe a virtual machine.

regards

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 6 July 2021 14:35 PM UTC
Hi MIguel;

No you cannot because of the differences of the R3 release's "Decoupled Runtime" feature. I would recommend that customers install R2 & R3 on different PC's or use a VM to host one or the other.

Note that this is only a temporary restriction as PB developers move forward off of R2 into R3, 2021, 2022, etc. These latter PB versions should "co-exist" on the same PC as they all have the "Decoupled Runtime" mentality (architecture). ;-)

HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 6 July 2021 14:38 PM UTC
Thanks for clearing it up Chris!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.