1. Lorna Vargas
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 9 November 2020 17:13 PM UTC

Good morning,

I did the migration of our old app under PowerBuilder 5 to 2019.  Now, it seems the main window on the application is not define.  How do I initial it?   I looked at the error message under the Help option but I don't see anything similar to the error I am getting.  Can you send an example on how to fix it?

here is the an example under the old version:

Open(w_mdi_main)

opensheet(w_checker, w_mdi_main 4, Layered)

w_checker.cb_retrieve_name.TriggerEvent(Clicked!)

This is the error after the migration

C0015:Udefined variable: w_cheker.

Thanks for your help.

Lorna Vargas

vargasl@metro.net

Lorna Vargas Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 1 December 2020 07:31 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Thanks for your heip.  the issue with the pbls was solved.

Comment
  1. Brad Mettee
  2. Wednesday, 2 December 2020 15:10 PM UTC
What was the solution?
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Brad Mettee Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 11 November 2020 15:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

If there were any PBDs being included in your project, you'll have to find, or create, newer (pb10 and above) versions of them. PB versions 10 and above are Unicode compliant, PBDs from PB 9.x and lower aren't compatible, and can't be read.

Comment
Lorna Vargas Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 11 November 2020 02:13 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Andrew,

thanks for info.  I am going to try it and see what happens.

Lorna

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 9 November 2020 21:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Lorna;

FWIW:  That type of error is often caused because you missed adding a PBL into your migrated App's library list.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Andrew Barnes Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 9 November 2020 20:14 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Migrating from a 25 year old version of PowerBuilder is impressive.  Most of the stuff should go through, but I am not surprised that there were at least a few errors.

To expound on what Mike said, if you look in your PBL, there will probably be a w_checker window, however, if you attempt to open w_checker in the window painter, PowerBuilder will pop up an error message likely saying that you need to regenerate it.  When you attempt to regenerate it, you should get a better error indicating what the problem is.  Possibly, there is something wrong with w_checker, possibly w_checker contains a reference to another object that did not migrate successfully.

So whenever you locate the lowest level window or object that failed to migrate properly, you can open it in source mode to fix the issue.  Depending on the issue, you find it most convenient to comment out the offending code while editing in source mode which would allow you to save the window or object.  At that point you can open it in the painter and fix it.

So once you've gotten the lowest level object fixed, you can try regenerating any dependent objects.  It can be a bit tedious depending on the number of objects involved, but once you get into it, it should not be too bad.

Comment
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 9 November 2020 17:24 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

I assume you typed rather than copy/pasted in the error since the spelling is different?

w_checker vs w_cheker

does w_checker exist?  can you regen it?  

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.