1. Tracy Lamb
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 17 November 2023 22:08 PM UTC

Hi all,

I'm setting up a new computer, and want to install PB2021 on it.  I downloaded PowerBuilderInstaller_bootstrapper.exe but the only install choice it gives me is PB2022 R3 Beta.  How can I install PB2021?  I'd like to run PB2021 on both the new machine and the old machine, until I get everything migrated over.

~~~Tracy

Accepted Answer
Mora Wang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 20 November 2023 08:14 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Tracy,

I’m guessing you had run the R3 Beta Installer before on this machine. Now it’s causing this problem because the R2 Installer doesn’t coexist well with the Beta Installer.

I suggest you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon and rename the PowerBuilder Installer Beta folder, such as “PowerBuilder Installer_Beta_20231120”. Then run https://file.appeon.com/download/Installer/PowerBuilder/PowerBuilderInstaller_bootstrapper.exe to get the R2 installer to install PB2021.

Later if you want to install the Beta version, you can run the installer again in the “PowerBuilder Installer_Beta_20231120” folder. You can also uninstall the Beta installer from Control Panel if you don’t want it. Sorry for the confusion caused. We will further improve the product experience.

Regards,

Mora

Comment
  1. Tracy Lamb
  2. Monday, 20 November 2023 12:55 PM UTC
Thank you Mora. This solved the problem. I initially downloaded the wrong installer, realized it when I ran the installer, so I went back and got the correct installer. However, I never actually installed PB 2022 R3, just ran the installer then cancelled.
  1. Helpful
  1. Mora Wang @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 21 November 2023 02:37 AM UTC
Hi Tracy,

We are sorry for the trouble this has caused you. We will optimize Installer and improve user experience in the future. Thank you for making us aware more clearly of Installer issues.

Thanks & Regards

Mora
  1. Helpful 1
There are no comments made yet.
Tracy Lamb Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 19 November 2023 16:23 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I thought maybe it has something to do with a new computer.  I downloaded the installer on my old computer and ran it, got all of the options I expected.  I got that downloaded installer file from my old computer to my new computer and ran it. Still only one install option, PB2022 R3 Beta.  So somehow Appeon's license manager isn't allowing me to install anything that's already been installed on another computer? If that's the case, how can transfer the license from one computer to another? Same user.

~~~Tracy

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 20 November 2023 00:47 AM UTC
Hi Tracy, Don't let what Chris said confuse you. No matter what is your license type, the installer will ALWAYS show all the versions. I recommend opening a support ticket as I suspect there is some environmental issue causing the installer to not work properly since the same installer works fine on your other computer. https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/newbug
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Tracy Lamb
  2. Monday, 20 November 2023 06:29 AM UTC
Thank you. I just submitted a bug report. Also check my license types... they are all on-line licenses.

~~~Tracy
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Monday, 20 November 2023 17:59 PM UTC
Thanks Tracy. As mentioned, ignore what Chris said license type has nothing to do with options in the installer. Mora has identified the cause of the issue it is a beta installer conflict. Glad to hear your issue resolved now!
  1. Helpful
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 18 November 2023 15:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi, Tracy - I believe you are executing the 2022 R3 installer. I downloaded the installer from the URL that Armeen supplied in his reply, and when I run it, this is what I see:

Check the installer version number in the lower-right corner of your installer window to see if it matches the value I've circled. This version has a size of 45,780,392 bytes.

Best regards, John

Comment
  1. Tracy Lamb
  2. Saturday, 18 November 2023 15:52 PM UTC
My new computer is Windows 11 Home... using Microsoft Edge browser. Wonder why Armeen's link is downloading different versions for each of us?
  1. Helpful
  1. Tracy Lamb
  2. Saturday, 18 November 2023 15:53 PM UTC
Do I need to clear a cache or something?
  1. Helpful
  1. John Fauss
  2. Saturday, 18 November 2023 18:47 PM UTC
Hmmmm. Clearing the cache is certainly worth a try. I use Chrome, by the way, for what it is worth. I’m not a big fan of Google products, but I’m even less of a fan of the Edge browser.
  1. Helpful
Tracy Lamb Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 18 November 2023 12:41 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I don't see an option to change the installed version...

~~~Tracy

Comment
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 18 November 2023 01:07 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

First, make sure you are downloading this installer: https://file.appeon.com/download/Installer/PowerBuilder/PowerBuilderInstaller_bootstrapper.exe

When you run the installer by default it shows the latest version, but there is option to change the version installed to 2021.

Comment
  1. Tracy Lamb
  2. Monday, 20 November 2023 06:31 AM UTC
I downloaded from the link you provided a couple of times. For some odd reason, it works fine on my Windows 10 computer, just not on my new Windows 11 computer.
  1. Helpful
  1. Mora Wang @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 21 November 2023 03:07 AM UTC
Hi Tracy,

Technically, this issue is not about the operating system or the browser. It is about the order in which you download and Beta installer and the non-beta installer.

We will later separate the Beta installer from the non-beta installer completely. By then this problem won’t exist anymore.

Thanks & Regards,

Mora

1. Helpful 1
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 17 November 2023 22:40 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Tracy;

HTH

Regards .. Chris

Comment
  1. Tracy Lamb
  2. Friday, 17 November 2023 22:53 PM UTC
Pretty sure that's what I did... will try again later. My new computer just crashed and is rebooting, lol!

~~~Tracy
  1. Helpful
  1. Tracy Lamb
  2. Friday, 17 November 2023 23:20 PM UTC
Just tried it again, same result.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.