1. Anto Kuriyan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 3 April 2023 09:51 AM UTC

How can we generate GS1-128 barcode from PB. GS1-128 is a globally defined standard for barcode. please share your thoughts

Accepted Answer
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 7 April 2023 13:49 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink
I just now reply-emailed you a zip file with the aforementioned app and draft tutorial. Please respond here if you are unable to receive them, and I can upload them to my Google Drive.
Comment
  1. Anto Kuriyan
  2. Monday, 3 July 2023 06:23 AM UTC
Hi, John Fauss

is this 'code -128' licensing required, if it is, can you mention a reliable source?
  1. Helpful
  1. John Fauss
  2. Monday, 3 July 2023 14:16 PM UTC
If you are referring to the code128.ttf TrueType font that my example application uses and helps you to download, this font was purportedly created by an individual several years ago. At the top of the font author's web site (http://grandzebu.net/informatique/codbar-en/codbar.htm) is the following statement: "Here, all is under GNU - GPL license , open source and completely free...". Please note the special exception in tiny print immediately following this statement on that web page regarding creating a document that imbeds the font(s). I'm a software developer, not a lawyer, so if you use this author's TrueType font to create GS1-128 or Code128 barcodes and you have licensing concerns, you'll have to make the determination regarding licensing and/or distribution.
  1. Helpful 1
There are no comments made yet.
Anto Kuriyan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 7 April 2023 13:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi, John

This code is working for GS1-128 Code , thanks a lot

Comment
Anto Kuriyan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 4 April 2023 04:00 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi,John

Thanks for your words, see the attached barcode. i have to generate barcode like this. 

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Anto Kuriyan
  2. Wednesday, 5 April 2023 03:37 AM UTC
Hi, John noted with thanks..
  1. Helpful
  1. Anto Kuriyan
  2. Wednesday, 5 April 2023 05:40 AM UTC
Hi, John

i got your mail with zip file let me extract it and read your documents.
  1. Helpful
  1. Anto Kuriyan
  2. Wednesday, 5 April 2023 06:45 AM UTC
Hi, John

your application is working here and I also waiting for scanner device to test. I will update you soon.
  1. Helpful
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 3 April 2023 12:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi, Anto - 

Can you please elaborate on what you are wanting? The GS1-128 spec's are complex, particularly if you're going to be utilizing multiple Application ID's (AI's) within a single barcode.

For the past several months, I've been working in my spare time on an example application that illustrates how to generate 12 styles of barcodes (GS1-128 is one of these 12) using a particular collection of freeware TrueType fonts, along with a paper that helps explains the methodology. These are not yet ready for publication in CodeXchange. If you could provide some details as to what you are looking for, it will help me determine if what I have may help you.

Best regards, John

Comment
  1. Christopher Altvater
  2. Monday, 3 April 2023 14:11 PM UTC
Hi Anto,

I have had good luck using barcode fonts from idautomation.com. The vendor provides database functions to do the data encoding for code 128. I use the fonts and functions in DataWindows. The sizing of the edit control can be an issue, but overall, it is easy to use.

Chris
  1. Helpful 2
  1. Anto Kuriyan
  2. Monday, 3 July 2023 06:30 AM UTC
Hi, Christopher Alvater

Are you still using the barcode from the mentioned vendor and how is experienced?
  1. Helpful
  1. Christopher Altvater
  2. Monday, 3 July 2023 16:17 PM UTC
Hi Anto,

I am still using the barcode fonts from IDAutomation for DataWindows, and it works well, but I mostly use the font for code 39. I am using Seagull Scientific's BarTender for labels and the scanned data from both IDAutomation and BarTender barcodes match up.

Chris
  1. Helpful 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.