1. Josh Turner
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 14 February 2019 15:17 PM UTC

I was experimenting with the Git integration in PowerBuilder 2017 R3 and came across a few issues that I hope more experienced folks can answer. In case it matters, we tested with GitLab as the Git provider:

1. Is there support for connecting to various branches via the PowerBuilder IDE? I tried to do this within PowerBuilder and couldn't find a setting to connect to a particular branch. It seems to only allow you to connect to the root. I hope I'm wrong or I hope further integration is coming later, as this was the big draw to Git for us.

2. PowerBuilder does not allow you to commit or fetch changes on the object level. If you want to retrieve changes or commit them, you have to do it on the workspace. Because of how we have our projects arranged, this is very slow because we have ALL our pb projects under one workspace so it has to fetch (or commit) everything at once for all projects. Is there a technical reason for this and is it even possible to commit at the object level? Will this be in a future release?

3. Git seems very sensitive to source changes. I made a very basic change like changing the background color in one source, then in another source changed the text on a button. When I tried to commit changes in both, the 2nd one raised a conflict (I would think that it would auto merge these changes, but maybe it's dependent on the SCC Provider). Merging them manually was no small feat either as it required you to manually edit the source file and hope you didn't write any syntax errors along the way. Struggled even after editing the file to get the conflicts to resolve. Only seemed to resolve it by using Tortoise Git outside of PowerBuilder to resolve conflicts. Was hoping it wouldn't be this cumbersome. Maybe I'm just a Git newbie.

ATK Gimmy Susan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 15 February 2019 17:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi

This is my 2 cent opinion:

1) Powerbuilder IDE work ONLY in master branch, but you can use tortoiseGIT for use branch. See:  https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/how-to-use-branch-in-git-whether-there-is-suggestion-on-the-detail-steps?limitstart=0#reply-11433

2) If i have well interpreted you can not commit at object and/or Library level? Strange, it works for me. For the fetch you are right. At object level you can do 'Revert', but it is not a PULL .

GMY

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.