1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 3 April 2020 10:03 AM UTC

This morning I was pleased to find that PB2019 R2 is available for download.

Note for who needs powerserver 32bit:

Install powerserver as 32 bit:

In previous versions of powerbuilder, if you wanted to install powerserver as 32 bit, you had to first edit the product.ini file and add this to the [Product] section:

Platform=32

This is no longer needed and different now:

- Download the offline installer

- When you install PB using "autorun.exe", don't install powerserver.

- When finished, go to the folder ...\PowerServerPBEdition-2020-2323-x86-EN and run setup.exe as administrator.

Why do we need powerserver as 32 bit install?

Because we have visual ActiveX controls made in .net which we paste on a window in the PB IDE. Since the PB IDE is 32 bit only, our ActiveX has to be 32 bit. They wouldn't work in powerserver 64 bit.

Edit: I've been told (on this same post) that I'm wrong. Things should work, even when you've pasted a 32 bit visual activex on a window in the PB IDE. I definitely have to try, but for now don't want to state the wrong thing, so strike through applied :)

Cheers

Heino Hellmers Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 3 April 2020 18:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Mike,

we always only use the 64 bit version of powerserver for our customers.

A 32 bit version is not needed. Because today all servers are 64 bit you will alway want to install a 64 bit powerserver.

Appeon only needs to deploy a 64 bit version.

just my 2 cents

Best regards

Heino

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 3 April 2020 15:05 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

The server-side and client side bitness is separate.  The 64-bit PowerServer contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the browser plugin. 

Did you test 64-bit PowerServer and ran into a problem or are you just assuming you need 32-bit?

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 3 April 2020 21:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the input, are you sure that will work for a VISUAL activeX ... ? I'll definitely try.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 3 April 2020 21:25 PM UTC
Hi Armeen, I'm going to try. I've tried before but it didn't seem to work. Maybe because of the browser bitness.

Thanks!
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 3 April 2020 22:30 PM UTC
Yes, the Web browser is what matters if your app contains 32-bit ActiveX. We recommend all customers to use 64-bit PowerServer if your Windows Server is 64-bit version.
  1. Helpful
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 3 April 2020 14:34 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

LOL, as i was reading your post I'm thinking why in the world does appeon keep doing a 32 bit powerserver

Comment
  1. Heino Hellmers
  2. Friday, 3 April 2020 19:06 PM UTC
Hi Miguel,

we are using on the Server Side the 64 bit Powerserver.

We also use visual 32 bit ActiveX Control.

On the Client (WebClient) the ActiveX works fine. You do not need a 32 bit powerserver on serverside to run a 32 bit ActiveX clientside.

In some cases a 32 bit ActiveX has problems to run with Powerserver but this is independent from 32 or 64 bit ps version.

Best regards

Heino

1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 3 April 2020 22:48 PM UTC
TY Heino, just thinking back of all the time I wasted getting things to work ... :)
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.