1. Vijay Jha
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 23 November 2022 06:32 AM UTC

Hello there,

While editing text for any activity my application is crashing (EXE) whereas launching application from IDE is working good. my word processor is text control and created this EXE recently from PB2022 Build 1878.

Thanks

Vijay Jha

Vijay Jha Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 25 November 2022 09:03 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Chris,John,Andreas

I cann't believe what happened with me now as I just removed 'admin privilege' mode while opening the apps and it started working all good.

so my application is working all good in normal mode, admin mode is not at all needed, wow!

Thanks  for all your support. 

Vijay Jha

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 25 November 2022 19:05 PM UTC
Hi Vijay;

Thanks for the great news! I am guessing that in your environment, Admin mode might require a "signed" App EXE.

My STD Framework, I detect the runtime state & then advise the PB Developer / App user if they are running in Admin mode.

I have found that certain O/S features can be blocked from use while running in Admin mode.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 24 November 2022 16:34 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi, Vijay - 

Does your app utilize rich text functionality via OLE or does it use the native Rich Text control included in PB?

A reference to a file name tx18_rtf.dll tells me that your machine has TX Text Control version 18.0 installed (version 31.0 is the latest available stand-alone version, by the way). TX Text Control version 18.0 is not a version that was ever bundled or included in any version/release of PB (that I can tell), so I suspect at some point in the past this stand-alone product was installed locally. This might explain why only you experience this issue.

I suggest you go to the Windows Control Panel, Programs, Programs & Features and check if you see any stand-alone version of TX Text Control listed. If you do see any, and that product is not needed, uninstall it.

Best regards, John

Comment
  1. Vijay Jha
  2. Friday, 25 November 2022 08:09 AM UTC
Hi John,

I already checked the path and there is no stand-alone version of TX Text Control listed and even I'm surprised why it is throwing tx18_rtf.dll error :(

still no luck :(

Thanks

Vijay Jha
  1. Helpful
Vijay Jha Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 24 November 2022 12:09 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hello Chris and Andreas,

I have performed below activities but, still no luck. I will be happy if you guys can figure it out as why my app is crashing while editing any text in text editor.(text control, tx text)

I have already recreated the scenario for my case while PB Debug was on and my app was NOT crashing in this operation. I have re-run PB Debugger     and recreated scenario twice, but it was not crashing at all and the moment I recreated scenario in normal mode , my app started crashing as usual ☹

I have downloaded Windows O/S logs of my machine while my app was  crashing and it was giving some hints towards some old dll (tx18_rtf.dll) although it is not being used by PB2022 however, I already added and performed rebuild but no luck later I removed tx18_rtd.dll

According to multiple docs, I have already increased the limit of User Objects from 10,000 to 18,000 but, no luck.

Path --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\USERProcessHandleQuota

Likewise, I have already performed multiple ways but, no luck

let me know your thoughts ?

Thanks

Vijay Jha

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 23 November 2022 13:07 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Vijay;

Can you tell us ...

• Is your EXE P-Code or M-Code compiled?
  • Is the App EXE 32 or 64 bit?
  • What O/S version is the EXE running on?
  • Have you tried running the PB App EXE on other machines?
  • When the App crashes, is their an O/S mini-dump in the O/S app event log?

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  1. Vijay Jha
  2. Thursday, 24 November 2022 05:51 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving! Please find below my answers,

Is your EXE P-Code or M-Code compiled? -> P-Code

Is the App EXE 32 or 64 bit? -> 32 bit

What O/S version is the EXE running on? -> Win10(64-bit O/S)

Have you tried running the PB App EXE on other machines? -> Yes, On other machine it is working good.

When the App crashes, is their an O/S mini-dump in the O/S app event log? I dont see . I just got below error in O/S event properties of event viewer

Faulting application name: xxx.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x6308a94f

Faulting module name: tx18_rtf.dll_unloaded, version: 18.0.541.501, time stamp: 0x503253f0

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00016b29

Faulting process id: 0x3d38

Faulting application start time: 0x01d8ffc78bba71af

Faulting application path: C:\xx\xxx\xxx.exe

Faulting module path: tx18_rtf.dll

Report Id: e3bd3cff-db0f-424c-8b65-7a2e6a624718

Faulting package full name:

Thanks

Vijay Jha

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 24 November 2022 12:45 PM UTC
Hi Vijay;

Thank you for answering my questions!

The fact that the mini-dump points to the error module "tx18_rtf.dll" indicates to me that you might be using (or pointing to) the wrong PB Runtime. This TX module is not even close to what is used in the PB 2022.

Did you deploy the PB runtime via the PB packager utility's MSI creation route?

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Vijay Jha
  2. Friday, 25 November 2022 08:07 AM UTC
Hello Chris,

Even I'm surprised why tx18_rtf is in the picture. I have already deployed PB runtime via the PB packager utility's MSI creation route. no luck yet :(

Thanks.

Vijay Jha
  1. Helpful
Andreas Mykonios Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 23 November 2022 07:19 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi.

Which text control you are using? It's not clearly stated. Richtextedit, multilineedit?

If you are using TX Text Control be sure to deploy all the runtime files on which it depends:

• tx30.dll
  • tx30_css.dll
  • tx30_doc.dll
  • tx30_dox.dll
  • tx30_htm.dll
  • tx30_ic.dll
  • tx30_obj.dll
  • tx30_pdf.dll
  • tx30_rtf.dll
  • tx30_tls.dll
  • tx30_wnd.dll
  • tx30_xlx.dll
  • tx30_xml.dll
  • tx4ole30.ocx
  • mfc120u.dll
  • msvcr120.dll
  • pbrtc.dll
  • pbtxtext.dll

PowerBuilder runtime files - - Application Techniques (appeon.com)

Andreas.

Comment
  1. Vijay Jha
  2. Thursday, 24 November 2022 05:54 AM UTC
Hi Andreas,

My application is of 32 bit whereas My O/S is of 64 bit. I see it is tx18_rtf.dll is the culprit. I attached the error in Chris's question.

Thanks

Vijay Jha
  1. Helpful
  1. Andreas Mykonios
  2. Thursday, 24 November 2022 06:50 AM UTC
tx18_rtf.dll? Are you sure isn't tx28_rtf.dll? Anyway, PB 2022 runtime contains only tx30* files... So I would try to remove this one.

Andreas.
  1. Helpful
  1. Vijay Jha
  2. Thursday, 24 November 2022 08:33 AM UTC
I'm now confused what to do with this issue ? As I already checked my files and there was not tx18_rtf in my folder and then I copied from other folder and did a rebuild but, no luck?

Could you tell me some steps why it is happening in my machine only and not with other machine with same setup,same exe ?
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.