1. Aurangzeb Qaimkhani
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 15 February 2024 21:55 PM UTC

Hi,

I see 'user.ini' exists in application folder but can't spot while in PB 2022 IDE, is there any way using IDE, I can edit and git/commit.

My goal is edit 'user.ini' file using IDE, and then hoping file change will show up in git/commit context menu, would appreciate if anyone can help me on this.

Note if edit 'user.ini' in notepad then, IDE doesn't pick this change in git/commit context menu.

Thanks,

Zeb Qaimkhani

Aurangzeb Qaimkhani Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 19 February 2024 19:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Thanks Chris, I was able to update ini file using IDE/text editor, but still I can't find the way push/commit to git, looks like context menu still don't pickup the ini file changes.

Regards,

Zeb Qaimkhani

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 19 February 2024 22:49 PM UTC
Hi Zeb;

In the Text Editor when you try to open a file & the file selection dialogue is showing you possible files, hit the DDLB in the lower part of the file selection dialogue. Now click on the DDLB & select the INI file option.

HTH

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 19 February 2024 22:52 PM UTC
Yes, external files are not managed by the PB IDE's SCC interface, so you'll have to use the GIT client software for those external files.
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Tuesday, 20 February 2024 02:10 AM UTC
PB IDE should have a feature like Visual Studio - a node in the system tree for external files. Right-click on the node to add files or entire folders. All files added to the external files node would be controlled by source control.
  1. Helpful 2
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 19 February 2024 18:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Zeb;

I've been doing this for decades in the IDE. That feature is still working even in the latest 2022 R3 release. Don't forget to change the file type to INI when you open the text editor though, otherwise you won't see those files.  HTH 

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
Aurangzeb Qaimkhani Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 19 February 2024 13:37 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

What is the Appeon recommendation or best practice modifying the ini file, since it not showing up in IDE source tree.

Comment
Benjamin Gaesslein Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 16 February 2024 06:17 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

I don't think it's possible to commit files from within PB that are not part of the workspace. You can add and commit them using any git client of your choice.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.