1. Yury Dubinsky
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 19 July 2018 18:35 PM UTC

My company is migrating to Oracle 12. Our Oracle integration team needs to know whether Powerbuilder 2017  supports PDB/CDB pluggable and container database. 

Ron Calder Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 20 July 2018 15:51 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I have been using Oracle 12c with PB 12.6 through the current release with no issues at all.  This includes the applications deployed to Appeon Web Servers using native DB Connections.

Regards,

Ron

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 20 July 2018 13:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Yury;

I checked with the Engineering team and thus far, we have not had any customers (that we know of) implement this feature. As David points out, it might be transparent to PB's current O12c drivers or the PB's driver might block some of the related features of PDB/CDB as it does not yet understand how to deal with certain special commands (DDL/DML statements). The only way to be sure right now would be to give PB2017R2/R3 a try with this O12c feature and see if it works.

Appeon Engineering has now added this feature to the list of PB enhancements so that we make sure that Appeon tests this feature in the next round of development (after R3 of course).

FYI: The PB2018 C# team will look at this feature in more detail after PB2018 ships. However as David also points out - the ADO.Net driver may handle this feature adequately initially. Something that Appeon Engineering though will review after the C# feature ships.

If there are any changes, I'll try and post back here with any updates.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
David Peace (Powersoft) Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 20 July 2018 09:49 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi

I have not used PB in this environment, but looking at the following from an Oracle site page:

About the Multitenant Architecture

The multitenant architecture enables an Oracle database to function as a multitenant container database (CDB).

A CDB includes zero, one, or many customer-created pluggable databases (PDBs). A PDB is a portable collection of schemas, schema objects, and nonschema objects that appears to an Oracle Net client as a non-CDB. All Oracle databases before Oracle Database 12c were non-CDBs.

Based on this comment "A PDB is a portable collection of schemas, schema objects, and nonschema objects that appears to an Oracle Net client as a non-CDB"

I would assume that from PBs (and any other application) point of view the database is an ordinary oracle instance. The oracle Net client does see any difference so there for the application will not see any difference.

Hope that helps.

Regards

David

P.S. link to details: https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/CNCPT/cdbovrvw.htm#CNCPT89237

Comment
  1. Yury Dubinsky
  2. Friday, 20 July 2018 14:47 PM UTC
Thank you!
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.