1. Larry Peters
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 03:30 AM UTC

Hi all,

With our 64-bit system I've been asked the question relating to the way our it stores passwords (in a text file or in a table or in the Registry):

Can the stored password be encrypted using AES-256 strength?

I've read about the new CrypterObject but I cannot see that the Help provides an answer to the question. I'm not sure that even using a 2048-bit public key and the RSA algorithm would fulfill AES-256.

If the answer is no then is there a third-party API available which would provide AES-256?

TIA

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 03:54 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Larry;

You could try ... https://www.example-code.com/powerbuilder/crypt2_aes.asp

Regards... Chris

Comment
  1. Larry Peters
  2. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 22:16 PM UTC
Thanks Chris,

I've noted the Chilkat ActiveX object and I see that it does advertise AES-256 compliance. However it is third-party and I've been burnt before when businesses have shut down (EasyMail & Amyuni).

Before looking at third-party solutions I would wish to rule out a totally Appeon solution. So I ask again - Can using the CrypterObject .SymmetricEncrypt() with the AES algorithm with a key 256 bits long offer a badge of AES-256 compliance?

Sorry to be a pedant.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
René Ullrich Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 05:34 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Larry,

I do not really understand what you want to do.

PowerBuilder CrypterObject can do a symmetric encryption using AES algorithm with 256 bit key.

If you are talking about asymmetric encryption the CrypterObject supports RSA algorithm with recommended key length 512 / 1024 / 2048.

HTH,

René

Comment
  1. Larry Peters
  2. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 22:06 PM UTC
Thanks Renee,

The question has been asked of me by a client. I assume he wishes to be reassured that our system complies to a recognized standard. I doubt whether he could be seriously considering trying to break the encryption but he only wishes to be given the highest recognized badge of compliance.

I've seen that CrypterObject .SymmetricEncrypt() offers the AES algorithm with a key upto 256 bits long. The question remains: Does this combo provide AES-256-bit compliance? I assume it does but I'm just trying to get some feedback as I'm on unfamiliar ground.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 22:22 PM UTC
Hi Larry, It is AES 256-bit as documented. You are welcome to do tests to verify if you doubt the documentation.
  1. Helpful 1
Larry Peters Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 26 August 2021 02:46 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Thanks Armeen,

What I wanted to hear.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 26 August 2021 05:14 AM UTC
You’re very welcome!
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.