1. mathews rutto
  2. PowerServer 2020 or older (Obsolete)
  3. Wednesday, 24 March 2021 06:42 AM UTC

Hello,

Following help content in New Features in PowerBuilder 2021 Beta i was able to successfully deploy an drun my application using IIS server.

I need help on how to do the same instead of IIS server which run on windows in need to run in my linux server. Someone to help.

Thank you in advance.

Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 25 March 2021 08:41 AM UTC
  3. # 1

Hi Mathews,

We have documentation on how to publish an ASP.NET Core application on Linux. You may follow the instructions at the following document link: https://docs.appeon.com/snapdevelop2019r3/Publish/index.html#publishing-and-hosting-an-aspnet-core-application-on-linux.

And if you want to use Linux as the Web Server, that’s also possible. You can use Nginx or Apache.  I believe the deployment steps are the same as on Windows.  

Best regards, Julie

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 24 March 2021 14:36 PM UTC
  3. # 2

Hi Matthews,

PowerServer 2021 is just standard C# REST API project for .NET Core 3.1.  There is nothing special or different you need to do to deploy it to Linux than any other C# REST API project.

I recommend you take a look at Microsoft documentation how to set up Apache Web server and Kestrel on Linux.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/host-and-deploy/linux-apache?view=aspnetcore-5.0

Please note this is early beta version with very limited documentation.  In the final release we will have an installation and deployment guide that will walk you through some common scenarios.

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 24 March 2021 16:07 PM UTC
On the link recommended by Armeen, on the left, right above "Linux with Apache" there's "Linux with Nginx". Nginx is recommended compared to Apache.

"Nginx is event-driven, asynchronous, non-blocking and single threaded (one master process + worker processes). This allows nginx to be manage resources more efficiently compared to thread-based models (like Apache)."

"Kestrel is fairly new and doesn't yet have the full suite of security features that you might find in a more mature server. It's recommended to run IIS, Nginx, or Apache in front of it set as a reverse proxy to handle incoming connections. The connections are then passed off to Kestrel after preliminary handling. Because of Kestrels young age, it doesn't have a full defense against attacks which includes, but isn't limited to, appropriate timeouts, size limits, and concurrent connection limits."

So I'd advice to use NGINX instead of Apache or Kestrel if possible.

regards,
  1. Helpful
  1. mathews rutto
  2. Thursday, 25 March 2021 06:19 AM UTC
@Miguel Leeuwe Thank you. Let me try out.

@Armeen. This has worked by i find it very slow compared when running on IIS. Is there something am missing out?
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 25 March 2021 06:27 AM UTC
PowerServer code is 100% C# managed code running on top of .NET Core so it should perform similarly regardless of OS. I guess it is some config issue.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.