1. Peter Thiem
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 6 December 2021 01:43 AM UTC

Hi Powerbuilder Community,

I am working on upgrading a powerbuilder application, and it crashed during startup in the applications citrix server environment.

Environment:

• PowerBuilder 2021 (either build 1288, or 1311).
  • Windows Server 2016 Datacenter (Version 1607, OS Build 14393.4770)
  • Oracle Instant Client: 19.13.0.0.0
  • Oracle Database Version: 19.12.0.0.0

Crash Message

• Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.4770, time stamp: 0x618088d2
  • Exception code: 0xc0000005
  • Fault offset: 0x000dc622
  • Faulting process id: 0x20ec
  • Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e70d38d5af9b

But the error does not occur when:

• Using Oracle Instant Client 19.12.0.0.0 on Windows Server.

And the error does not occur when:

• Using Oracle Instant Client 19.13.0.0.0 on Windows 10.

Oracle Instant Client 19.13.0.0.0 is quite a new version at this point in time.

For now, I will downgrade to Oracle Instant Client 19.12.0.0.0 on the target server.

But I am concerned that I don't know the cause of the crash (it is too low level for me), and updates and patches to the system might trigger it here or in other places.

Is this possibly an expected bug, and the Oracle Instant Client 19.13.0.0.0 is not supported yet by PowerBuilder in Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, but it will be in future releases?

Or is it unexpected, and I should consider reporting as a bug to Appeon?

Or some feature/version of software in the environment is likely the cause?

Cheers, Peter

Accepted Answer
Peter Thiem Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 31 January 2022 22:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

I'll mark resolved, Oracle Instant Client 19.12 is working, and it will do.

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 1 February 2022 15:00 PM UTC
Hi Peter ... FWIW: The DBMS Server version and the DB Client version should always be the same. It's like a set of tires on your car. You should put the same tire size & type on the front & rear so that the handling is the same. Mixing different tires on front vs rear can lead to handling problems. It;s the same for any DBMS vendor. A mismatch can lead to DML handling (stability) issues.

Glad that you got it working! :-)
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 31 January 2022 23:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I'm using an Oracle 19c client, but can't check the version right now. I've noticed sporadic insert errors, which strangely enough were solved by setting "Disablebind=1" in the dbparms of the connection.

Once I can check on my work pc, I'll see if there's a similar driver problem. BTW, Appeon should fix this I think. If you support 19c, you should support all clients. (though it might be an Oracle bug too of course ...)

regards.

Comment
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 6 December 2021 09:11 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Peter,

Also, I want to check with you if you downgrade Oracle Instant Client 19.13.0.0.0 to Oracle Instant Client 19.12.0.0.0, will it make the issue gone?     

Regards,

Ken

Comment
  1. Peter Thiem
  2. Monday, 6 December 2021 22:04 PM UTC
Hi Ken,

The application does work with Oracle Instant Client 19.12.0.0.0 (on windows Server).

The application also works with Oracle Instant Client 19.13.0.0.0 on Windows 10.

Cheers, Peter
  1. Helpful
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 6 December 2021 08:38 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Peter,

Does this issue also happen when it runs in PB IDE?
Did it work fine before the upgrade? What’s the previous PB version and Windows Server version you use?

I suggest you try this:
1. Open Application Object. Make any change, such as adding a space, then save.
2. Re-compile and deploy your application to Windows Server.
3. On Windows Server, delete the .\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 21.0.0.1###\pbtheme.dll file then run the application and see if it works well.
4. If the issue remains, I suggest you add a pb.ini file to the directory where the EXE resides and this file should contain the following content. Then run again and see if it works well.
[Data Window]
ACCESSIBILITY=0
5.One customer of ours had the application crashing issue in Citrix previously and they solved the issue by the solution in the links below. I suggest you try it too.
https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX107825 
https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX232495 

6. If you can, please also verify with Citrix Windows Server 2019.

Regards,
Ken

Comment
  1. Peter Thiem
  2. Monday, 6 December 2021 22:12 PM UTC
Thanks Ken,

I don't think it is application compilation or code related. On windows 10, it all works for any versions. On the windows server 2016 machines, the application works with the Oracle Instant Client 19.12, but crashes 19.13.

I don't think it is citrix related, as I reproduced the fault on a "normal" (non-citrix environment) windows server 2016 machine. I don't have a lot of server machine to experiment with, unfortunately, and upgrading is not possible right away.

Cheers, Peter
  1. Helpful
  1. Ken Guo @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 7 December 2021 08:04 AM UTC
Hi Peter,

Have you tried the #1 ~ #4 I suggested in my previous reply?

If the issue persists, to better track and handle this issue, I suggest you submit a bug to the Appeon Support site at https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/newbug.

Regards,

Ken
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.