1. Joe Hess
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 18:25 PM UTC

Hi,

I'm migrating my users to use our application via PowerClient. Every now and then, a user receives a message saying port 26568 is in use when trying to run the CloudAppInstaller (image attached).

We are in a hosted, Citrix environment. My guess is I may have setup the project incorrectly. Can anyone give me an idea why the port may be in use for some but not others? It is a timing issue with the install? What is the proper way to setup a PowerClient project for a multi-user environment?

Thanks

Joe Hess

Attachments (1)
Accepted Answer
Kai Zhao @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 26 August 2021 05:30 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Joe,

To support a multi-user environment, it is required to use the launcher with the background service to support multiple Windows users. Please refer to article below for details about the launcher.
https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/pbug/ch07s03.html#uploading_the_app_launcher_and_runtime_files

For your issue:
Port 26568 is the port used by Launcher with background service. The last line of the message on the screenshot “26568: CloudAppLanucher.exe” means that another user has started the service but the current user cannot use it and the cause should be that you are using the launcher with the background service that supports single Windows user. I can reproduce this issue with this launcher type.

Please follow the steps below to solve the issue.
1. Go to PB IDE > Menu > Tools > Upload Cloud App Launcher.
2. Select Launcher Profile 'Default_Both_WithServiceMulti'( or 'Default_WithServiceMulti' ) and upload it (as shown attached).
3. Uninstall Cloud App Launcher from Control Panel on the client machine and run the application again to download and install the new Cloud App Launcher. You might need to clear the browser cache to get the updated file.

Regards,
ZhaoKai

Attachments (1)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 8 September 2021 00:16 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Joe,

Actually, you don't need the without background service for what you want to do.  So I suggest you do as follows...

1) Uninstall the Cloud App Launcher for all users.

2) Upload a new installer to your Web server. The installer needs to have Default_WithServiceMulti selected.

3) Set the default to Startup with background service and only auto.html box should be checked.

4) Do a full deployment of your application to the Web server.

5) Run the new installer under one user with admin privileges.

6) Have all users go to http://domain/appname/auto.html (using your URL) to install the launcher and the code.  

Comment
  1. Joe Hess
  2. Wednesday, 8 September 2021 12:36 PM UTC
Great! I will give this a shot. Thank you for your help.

Joe
  1. Helpful
Joe Hess Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 1 September 2021 10:46 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

One more question on this. On the deployment tab of the project, there is a setting for Default Startup Mode. Should this be set to startup with or without a service? I have already deployed the app to startup without a background service. If I have to change that, what impact will it have on users that have already installed the app?

Joe

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 1 September 2021 16:21 PM UTC
If your users are running the PowerClient app on a Windows Server OS/remote desktop situation then your users should uninstall the Cloud App Launcher that is already installed (the without service) and then use the link http://domain/appname/auto.html. When the URL ends in auto.html it will install the With Service option. But of course, before your users do this you first need to deploy the Cloud App Launcher to your Web server that has been configured to run for multi-user as a service. Please note admin rights will be required to install the Cloud App Launcher for multi-user situation. Only single-user install doesn't require admin rights.
  1. Helpful
  1. Joe Hess
  2. Tuesday, 7 September 2021 23:48 PM UTC
Armeen,

I'm still trying to get a handle on all of this. I'm sure I have several different launchers running right now. Let me tell what I understand to be the process to fix this. Please correct me.

1) Uninstall Cloud App Launcher for all users

2) Upload a new installer. The installer needs to have Default_Both_WithServiceMulti selected.

3) Run the new installer under one user with admin privileges.

4) Have all users go to http://domain/appname/auto.html (using my URL) to install the launcher and the code.

Does that sound correct?

The only other question I have is on the project. The deployment page has an option for Default Startup Mode (using IP address/appname). In order to get the option to deploy auto,html, I need to select "Startup without a background service." That seems to contradict what ZhaoKai said about the background service being required in a multi-user environment. What should be the setting for that option?

Thank you for your patience,

Joe

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 8 September 2021 00:17 AM UTC
Please see my separate response above with relevant screenshots.
  1. Helpful
Joe Hess Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 26 August 2021 10:45 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Thank you! I expected that I did something wrong with the setup of the launcher.

The doc says launcher with a background service needs to be installed as an admin. Does it need to be installed for each user or just one time on the servers?

Joe

Comment
  1. Kai Zhao @Appeon
  2. Friday, 27 August 2021 00:58 AM UTC
Hi Joe,

The launcher will need to be installed for each user but only the first installation requires the admin permission to install and start the service. If the current user who is installing the launcher on this server for the first time has no admin permission, it will pop up a window to require the admin user name and password. Then other users also need to install the launcher but they do not require admin permission, all users will just use the service started by the first install.

Regards,

ZhaoKai

1. Helpful 1
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 18:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Joe;

Is it possible that another piece of software starts up and just happens to use this port for a brief period of time that thus interferes with the CAL here and there?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Joe Hess
  2. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 18:56 PM UTC
Hey, Chris.

I contacted my IT Company about that. I have not received a response, yet.

Is Cloud App Launcher the only part of PowerClient that uses this port?

I receive a message when I first log into Citrix: "Failed to start the network listener (port 26568) of Cloud App Launcher." The app updates and runs with no problems. Could CloudAppLauncher already be running under a different user?

Joe

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 25 August 2021 19:04 PM UTC
Yes, that could be possible if your running the CAL on a Windows Server or on a Citrix environment where *multiple* users are starting a CAL session - and thus using the same port. You can configure the CAL to install as a "Service" and thus all users will use that "one" CAL instance. If you generate the CAL "without" a service, each PC session will load it's own CAL instance for *each* user. That could certainly describe your port contention issue.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.