1. Paul Rito
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 3 June 2019 15:08 PM UTC

Hi,

I know that different PB versions in the past were installed separately and that you could keep two (or more) versions installed side-by-side. Just confirming whether the new release of 2019 is separate from 2017 R2 so that I can install and test and keep 2017 around until ready to release on 2019.

Thanks!

Accepted Answer
Mariano Collado @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 3 June 2019 18:22 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Paul,

Yes, you can have both PowerBuilder 2017 (and 2017 subversions like R2) and PowerBuilder 2019 installed on the same machine.

However, keep in mind you will only be able to be logged in to one IDE at any one moment. In order to make sure PowerBuilder session is freed up and you can hop between IDE's, I recommend you do the following.

If using PowerBuilder 2017 R3 and PowerBuilder 2019

Enable 'Auto-login' and 'Auto-logout' on both PB 2017 R3 and PB 2019. This will allow you to jump back and forth between PowerBuilder 2017 R3 and PowerBuilder 2019 quickly and easily.

1. Open PowerBuilder 2017 R3 ► On the top right corner, click on your account name ► Account Management ► Check both checkboxes "Auto login at startup" and "Sign out on exit".
  2. Exit out of the program
  3. Repeat the above steps in PowerBuilder 2019

Enabling these options will automatically sign out your session when the IDE is closed, and automatically logs in your session when an IDE is opened. This allows you to hop back and forth between IDEs without having to remember to manually log out from one of the IDEs. This is also helpful for users who use their PowerBuilder on more than one machine.

If using PowerBuilder 2017 or 2017 R2 and PowerBuilder 2019

'Auto-login' and 'Auto-logout' are only available starting PB 2017 R3. If you're using a previous PB version, you will have to log out manually out of this version.

1. Open PowerBuilder 2017 ► On the top right corner, click on your account name ► Account Management ► "Sign out"
  2. Your session is now free

Now I recommend you do enable 'Auto-login' and 'Auto-logout' on PB 2019 as instructed above.

Cordially,

Mariano C.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 8 January 2020 02:04 AM UTC
We are going to resolve this in PB 2019 R3. For now, please follow Mariano's instructions.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Andi Constantin Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 10 September 2020 08:47 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hello,

Can I have PowerBuilder 2019 (Build 2710) and PowerBuilder 2019 R2 (Build 2328)installed on the same machine?

Thanks,

Andi

Comment
Adrian Gonzalez Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 7 January 2020 15:26 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

We are on the same boat... supporting software versions under PB12.5, 2017 R3 and 2019.

It makes makes 0 sense to pose this limitation.

Comment
  1. Ricardo Jasso
  2. Tuesday, 7 January 2020 15:53 PM UTC
I think this is an unintended limitation. You can run multiple instance of the same product on the same machine. It's just happens that PB2019 is a different product than PB2017 so I guess the condition is not met in the license controller. We too have applications both in PB2017R3 and PB2019 so it would be nice to be able to work with both at the same time to copy and paste code between them.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 8 January 2020 02:04 AM UTC
We are going to resolve this in PB 2019 R3...please hang in there! For now, please follow Mariano's instructions.
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 5 June 2019 15:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

If there were an all-time FAQ for PowerBuilder, this one would be at the top of the list. The DLL files have the version number in the name so multiple versions can be installed. I have all versions PB8 and higher installed.

The new Appeon license scheme will allow more than one copy of the same version to run at the same time, it won't allow you to run 2017 and 2019 at the same time. This seems like a bug to me, there is no good reason to have this restriction on purpose.

Comment
  1. Mariano Collado @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 5 June 2019 22:43 PM UTC
Roland,

I see your point that allowing this would not increase the likelihood of license non-compliance. I have escalated this to the PowerBuilder product manager to consider for PowerBuilder 2019 R2
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 6 June 2019 02:52 AM UTC
Thank you.
  1. Helpful
Marc Wietscher Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 5 June 2019 13:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Mariano,

why is that? You can open several instances of PB2017 at the same time on the same machine using the same license.

Why can't we open PB2017 and PB2019 at the same time on the same machine?

Some background on why we would need that to have:

Last year we released a stable version of our product which is based on PB2017 R2 (which is lacking the option to auto log out), which needs to be maintained for about two or three years or even more. As this version is deployed on thousands of machines at hundreds of companies, we are not going to switch this release to PB2017 R3.

In Q3 we will release the next version of our product, which was planned to be based on PB2019.

When we fix bugs in the stable release, of course, we need to also fix them in the upcoming release. So right now, we open two IDEs, copy one snippet from one IDE and paste it into the other IDE. Unfortunately bugs tend to spread across software, so the snippets may come from several events, functions or even several objects.

With the license policy that you offer, this will become a mess as you need to open PB2017, log in, copy snippet 1, log out, open PB2019, paste snippet 1, close PB2019, open PB2017, log in (as I mentioned, we are on R2), copy snippet 2, log out (R2 grrrr), open PB2019 and so on...

I know there are clipboard managers around, but still this will be a mess!

Is there any chance, that Appeon will change this license policy?

I really don't see the point. We bought licenses (plenty of them!!!) which are valid for both releases but we cannot use them at the same time?!? Come on...

For us this is a blocker which will result in NOT upgrading to the new release and eventually neither to those that are still to come.

Please reconsider your policy here...

Best regards,

Marc

Comment
  1. Dale Fuller
  2. Wednesday, 5 June 2019 15:17 PM UTC
And Imagine what those of us that MUST work offline have to go through. :/
  1. Helpful
  1. Mariano Collado @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 5 June 2019 22:42 PM UTC
Marc,

The use case scenario you outlined makes sense. I have escalated this to the PowerBuilder product manager to consider for PowerBuilder 2019 R2.
  1. Helpful
  1. Marc Wietscher
  2. Friday, 26 July 2019 07:07 AM UTC
Hi Mariano,

any news on this one? Will this be fixed in PB2019R2?

This will be essential for a lot of shops out there, to consider migrating to PB2019 at all.

I'd be glad to hear some good news from you.

Best regards,

Marc
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 3 June 2019 15:48 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Paul;

No problem. I have both 217R3 and 2019 installed without issue as each DLL is numbered per its release.

Note1: PB2019 Universal comes with PowerServer 2019. PS2017 and PS2019 cannot co-exist on the same PC.

Tip: Makes sure that your PB2019 run-time folders are first in the System Path as some non-numbered shared DLL's are found in both PB versions. Forcing the PB run-time to pick the shared DLL from higher PB version is key.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.