1. Clint Maxwell
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 4 October 2021 21:35 PM UTC

We are on PB2019R2 Build 2353. One of our apps has a custom export to Excel where we dump out a dw's results to a spreadsheet along with a bunch of formulas etc, and then open the built spreadsheet in Excel. It begins with code as follows:

OLEObject property_spreadsheet
long ll_result
property_spreadsheet = CREATE OLEObject
ll_result = property_spreadsheet.ConnectToNewObject("excel.application")

We are now upgrading our citrix environment to Windows Server 2019. In testing we found that the custom export was causing the pb application to become unresponsive for 1-2 minutes, and have narrowed it down to just the lines of code above, specifically the ConnectToNewObject function call.

Execution does not freeze on this line, the rest of the script continued to execute to completion, including the opening of excel. But any subsequent clicks/interaction on the pb app seem to get delayed for a upwards of a couple of minutes, queueing up and occurring after whatever is locked gets released.  The issue was not observed under Server 2016, or a Windows 10 development machine. 

I have attached a very simple sample application to demo. Anyone running into anything like this under Server 2019?

Attachments (1)
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 8 October 2021 01:31 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Could have something to do with the Office "Trust Center" settings being different on the 2019 server?

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 5 October 2021 13:32 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Client;

The ConnecToNewObject() method just looks up the OLE Server (excel.application) as registered in the O/S's Registry database and then asks the O/S to start it. This type of delay sounds more like an MS-Office / Citrix configuration issue (my guess).

Regards ... Chris

Comment
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 5 October 2021 01:35 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi, Clint - 

Did the version of Excel/Office change with the upgrade of the server? What version of Excel is currently installed on the server? If different, can you test with the same version?

If I were to guess, I'd say this gives the appearance of a permission/rights issue.

Comment
  1. Clint Maxwell
  2. Tuesday, 5 October 2021 14:11 PM UTC
Sorry I should have stated, we are running Office 365 and it was not getting upgraded at this time. Thats the same version we were running under Server 2016.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.