1. Ilia Gurevich
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 10 June 2022 10:56 AM UTC

Hello,

we have updated from PowerBuilder 12.5 to PowerBuilder 2019R3 and have now an issue with automated testing, because the DropDown-Datawindow and Edit field elements do not have the property 'IsEnabled' anymore. In PowerBuilder 12.5 those two elements contained the property 'IsEnabled'. This is not the checkbox 'enabled' property.

We can see this by using "inspect.exe" from the Windows SDK. Alle the other PowerBuilder elements contain this IsEnabled property and can be tested automatically.

Could you please add this 'IsEnabled' property to DropDown-Datawindow and Edit field elements again?

Probably this issue happens in the step of conversion from older to the newer PowerBuilder files.

Maybe you also have another idea?
We hope for a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Ilia

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 16 June 2022 15:10 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Ilia, We plan to fix this in an upcoming MR (maintenance release) for PB 2019 R3.

Comment
  1. Ilia Gurevich
  2. Friday, 17 June 2022 06:29 AM UTC
Hi Armeen, thanks a lot!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Ilia Gurevich Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 13 June 2022 06:28 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hello John,

thank you for your response. This property is an internal PowerBuilder property, which cannot be set by a user, only by your PowerBuilder programmers. This is a part of Microsoft UI Automation, which is described on your appeon site. Please take a look at the attached screenshot: on the right side of it I highlighted the IsEnabled=true property. In the end of the video on the same page you can also see this property.
Please also take a look at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winauto/inspect-objects

Regards, Ilia

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. John Fauss
  2. Monday, 13 June 2022 14:48 PM UTC
The additional context you've supplied is extremely helpful in helping me to understand your issue. In my testing, using the "inspect.exe" Windows SDK tool, I can verify the symptoms you're seeing, but it the issue appears to be sporadic, I suspect it has something to do with where the DW's "edit control" (the user input mechanism that dynamically superimposes itself over the column object that has input focus) is located. I have also verified this behavior also occurs in PB 2021 R1 Build 1509. I suspect it also occurs in PB 2017 R3 LTS, but the version of inspect.exe that I have available appears to be incompatible with PB 2017 as the PB app(s) crash silently if inspect.exe is running.

I suggest you open a bug report for this issue. I cannot speak for Appeon, but I know it will be helpful and valuable to them for you to clearly and completely describe the issue, including mention that you are referring to the MS UI Automation property named "IsEnabled" (BTW, the property named "IsOffscreen" also appears to have the same problem). Include an explanation how you can/cannot see this internal property via the MS inspect.exe SDK tool and include a small sample app that exhibits the issue. Best wishes and Good Luck!
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 12 June 2022 14:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Maybe an alternative: The (huge) client that I work for, uses Tricentis Tosca with our powerbuilder apps. (That's all I know ...Haven't seen it. It's a Q&A thing).

I'm not under the impression that it's a very cheap tool though.

If you search on it on youtube there's a bunch of videos.

regards.

Comment
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 10 June 2022 21:04 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi, Ilia -

I’ve been a PB developer since version 4 and I’m not familiar with this property  

I searched all of the (PDF) PB documentation for v12.5 and also for v10.5 for the term “IsEnabled”, and found nothing  

Is this a property you can set in a Painter? If so, please post a close-up screen grab that shows this property so we can try to identify its origin.

Could this property have been added as a public instance boolean, maybe as part of a framework used by your application?

Regards, John

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 10 June 2022 21:23 PM UTC
Sounds like a "Squishy" thing to me John. ;-)
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 10 June 2022 13:19 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

What automated testing tool are you using?

Comment
  1. Ilia Gurevich
  2. Friday, 10 June 2022 14:17 PM UTC
We are using Squish.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.