1. JC NAM
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 16 August 2017 08:26 AM UTC

This article is written in Google Translator.. :)

Hi, 

I have been using PB10.5, and I am currently reviewing the migration to PB2017.
PB2017 provides two options for the deploy option. (for x86 / x64)
Are there differences in performance between for x86 and x64 applications deployed in PB2017?
The application for x86 seems to have no problem running in x64 OS environment.
It need to synchronize the bit with the oracle client, but this does not seem to be a big problem either. 

Is there any difference in performance between oracle client for x86 and for x64?
If so, an application for x64 is better.

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 16 August 2017 13:55 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi JC;

To answer your question definitely, I wish that the Application Profiler feature of PB 2017 also worked for the 64bit Apps as it does for the 32bit Apps. Then we could have an absolute way of measuring the true run-time performance differences.

I can say though through observation and testing of my own framework which is now 64bit compliant - that the applications I have developed & deployed from PB 2017 seem to run just as well from the 64bit EXE vs their 32bit EXE counter-part. My framework does measure the DBMS interaction times of each DW object and records these timings in its framework log. From what I have seen comparing the DB part of the logs - the DBMS interaction time seems comparable in the 32bit vs 64bit App comparison. Of course, DBMS response times might be better for you depending on how well your particular DBMS processes 64bit client DML requests vs 32bit ones. My DBMS tests thus far have focused mainly on SQL Anywhere v17 vs ASE, SS or Oracle.

If you look at the 64bit world in general, 64bit Apps tend to load a little slower but once instantiated process faster. While 32bit Apps load faster, they need to run in the emulation mode known as Windows On Windows or WOW for short. WOW does require a little extra over-head to use at run time - but, that is marginal. So I would think that the trade-off of WOW vs native 64bit operations should place the 32bit vs 64bit Apps on a somewhat even playing field performance wise overall.

I am just working with a PB App this week that I wrote that walks through MS-Windows control blocks. So its very memory & CPU intensive. The 64bit version seems   faster than the 32bit P-Code version for sure and "on par" with the 32bit M-Code compiled version - speed wise. Just an observation I had noticed yesterday. However, this is not your typical PB business App processing profile.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. JC NAM
  2. Friday, 18 August 2017 02:52 AM UTC
Thank you for replying :)

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this question but you are not allowed to view the replies from this question.